ER4P's are insane!!!!
Sep 19, 2002 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Nedarooski

New Head-Fier
I must say...I am absolutely blown away by these things. I have read so many comments in here with people saying they can't get the right seal or the microphonics are horrible...I totally disagree with all of that. First of all I have an Ipod and the bass was horrible with any headphones I tried..and when I would turn on the bass boost in the eq the treble would go up too...to an annoying point. I got my ER4's today and I tried putting them in with the rubber tips right away. I didn't get a good seal at first...but then I gave the rubber a little lick and put them back in(don't be afraid to put them in far...won't hurt you) AMAZING!!!!!! The sound is just beyond what you can explain...I heard things in songs I've never heard before even on my home system which is an excellent system. The bass is very very solid and the treble is reduced just a bit which is perfect for the Ipod which is treble heavy in the first place if you ask me. I mainly bought these because I work outside all day and wanted a good set of headphones while I work. I do lawncare and walk about 8 miles a day so I was scared by all of the people saying the microphonics are very bad. I disagree....you hear it at low volumes but once you turn the music up you don't hear it at all...and that is when I am walking full pace. I did order the fixup cord out of fear and I haven't yet recieved it but I can easily say that I could get by without it...if it reduces the microphonics any more it would be perfect...but it is handable as is. One thing I am looking forward to about that cord is it is lighter weight..doesn't have the big attatchment in the middle to hook the shirt clip on. If you plan on jogging...you may want to check into the fixup cord but if you are just walking, I see no problem with the cord that is supplied. Just beware of your surroundings...they do block outside noise very much. So to sum up...ER4P's with a portable device are unbeatable unless you can't handle an in-ear style phone. Unbelievble sound, period.

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 13
I have had my Ety's for some time now but I tend to nearly always use them indoors when sat down - they are just too expensive to risk damaging them in some terrible lawnmower accident!

On a lighter note, I have found the Koss KSC-35's to be an outstanding headphone. I honestly would rate them alongside the Ety's in many ways - the bass is perhaps a little deep and not as 'accurate' but they do sound so musical.

At the moment I am using the fabulous Nomad Jukebox 3 MP3 system - apart from the sometimes flaky interface with the PC, I would recommend it as the sound quality is absolutely first rate.

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 13
The fixup cable is available at http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

One of the coolest things (beside the sound) about the KSC-35s is the carrying bag that is in the package. It works perfectly for my Minidisc player. I just hang the bag on a belt loop run the remote cord around my waist and clip it on the other front belt loop then plug in the headphone cable that runs under my shirt.

Sep 19, 2002 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 13
Ahh... amazing isn't it? It's hard to imagine these little pieces of plastic (?) can sound so detailed & neutral (mine is ER4s BTW).

I wouldn't use them outside! More for fear of damaging them rather than anything else. Especially since the price has gone up recently. I consider them as 1 of my prized prized possessions besides my MG Head OTL/HD600 combo!

ENJOY!
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 13
I use my Etys primarily outside -- they're the best headphone for use on a train, or whenever you need serious isolation.

Back to the main post... I agree, these things are just amazing, I've yet to find their equal (for me) in a full size headphone.

Sep 19, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 13
how mcuh are these headphones? and where can i get them? i really need some peace and quiet while watching t.v... i have hillbillies for neighbors... loud ones.. why do people have to be so loud?

Sep 19, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 13
um... are there any like this that are in an affordable range.. like 75 bucks that can really block out sound? 270 or 330 is waaaaaay to much for me to afford. sorry.. i am sorta spamming.. this and my topic are pretty similar now.. my post here mya be deleted without my dissaproval if my topic stays up.

Sep 19, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Merton,
you can get a pair of sony v6 headphones for around that price. They will isolate a good deal of outside noise, but not as much as the Etys.

Sep 19, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 13
I do cherish them but being outside all day at work I just can't go without them. I don't use any heavy equipment or mow lawns...just spray lawns...so no fear really of messing them up. If they would by chance get hurt, I wouldn't hesitate to work 10 hours of overtime to get another set
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 13
how far away do you have to be from a lawn mower for them to block out the sound? i use silicone ear plugs that i sleep in and they block out 22 decibels.. but only low levels unless i have a really tight and kinda rarish seal... or they get sucked into my ear for some reason while wearing them. oh.. and elvex sales hearing protectors that'll be nice with the ear buds if you want a lot of sound blockes out.. they are 20 bucks or less.

Sep 20, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 13
These things block out way more than 23 decibels like they are posted. When using the rubber tips or whatever they are made of I can hardly hear a thing. My truck I use at work is very loud and the pump I use for my spray unit is loud as well and I can't hear either of them when I have the music playing at low levels. I can't even hear it when I slam the door. They do an amazing job of blocking sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back