EQ for the PC?
Sep 18, 2004 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

vanillawafer

100+ Head-Fier
Well I was reading gerG's review of the DEQ2496 and how much of a difference an EQ can make. Now I'm wanting one of those Ber DEQ2496 EQ's, but first I wanted to find out if anyone knows of a really good EQ for the PC. Since my source is the PC with the E-MU 1212m, is there a really good EQ software add-on I could add to the mix... besides the one in Foobar, I don't think I really like that EQ very much.

Sep 19, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 13
Did you read your emu box or manual? It has one
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 13
There's a ton of VST plugins out there. If you have a stream capture prog (I use Audio Hijack Pro, but I'm on an OS X machine so can't help you on a PC) that opens up a lot of choices. Do a search for VST EQ on Yahoo/Google. This lists a few.

Classic EQ seems to get positive reviews and is or was free.

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 13
VST plugins aren't for playback, are they?

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanillawafer
Yes, did you read my post? I sad a good one
wink.gif

Well you never said what you did or didn't try. So you did try the emu's EQ? DId you try foobar's convolver with your own impulses?

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 13
I still use blueparameq with winamp (direct-x plugin). Unfortunately I don't know what to use with itunes on the pc yet. I am curious as well what is accessible right now.

gerG

Sep 19, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well you never said what you did or didn't try. So you did try the emu's EQ? DId you try foobar's convolver with your own impulses?

I was just messing with ya. Yeah, I've tried the E-MU EQ, in fact I'm trying it again right now, and It's actually not that bad, although I can't say I've heard "nirvana" to know what to compare it too. I just thought that since a lot of the hype about the deq2496 was the digital in's & out's I thought well since my source is the E-MU 1212m, I'm digital at that point already, why not add an EQ to the mix on the computer, and I think the E-MU EQ will work for me. Do you see/know any issues with the 1212m's EQ? No, I haven't tried the foobar convolver, and to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start with it.

Sep 19, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanillawafer
I just thought that since a lot of the hype about the deq2496 was the digital in's & out's I thought well since my source is the E-MU 1212m, I'm digital at that point already, why not add an EQ to the mix on the computer

Do you see/know any issues with the 1212m's EQ? No, I haven't tried the foobar convolver, and to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start with it.

I've been looking at the DEQ2496 lately also but for room correction functions. Take note that the DAC/ADC on the emu is better than the DEQ and doing a digital transfer will add some jitter. So you may take a performance hit in clarity. So consider the price of the unit and 2 digital cables is probably ~400. I think you can probably use patchmix to do an output to go to behringer then come back to the emu for DAC function. I don't know if the net positive effect is worth that money.

The only thing with emu DSP effect is they only work in 44.1 and 48khz. You also can't do anything <80hz with the EQs. I havn't really used much of it to evaluate it's quality.

Sep 19, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I've been looking at the DEQ2496 lately also but for room correction functions. Take note that the DAC/ADC on the emu is better than the DEQ and doing a digital transfer will add some jitter. So you may take a performance hit in clarity. So consider the price of the unit and 2 digital cables is probably ~400. I think you can probably use patchmix to do an output to go to behringer then come back to the emu for DAC function. I don't know if the net positive effect is worth that money.

The only thing with emu DSP effect is they only work in 44.1 and 48khz. You also can't do anything <80hz with the EQs. I havn't really used much of it to evaluate it's quality.

Yeah, that is true, the way I planned on using it, EMU -> DEQ2496 -> EMU could possibly introduce some jitter, so that might not be the way to go. As far as working at 44.1 and 48khz, I didn't know that, but I don't do any upsampling, I run out of foobar using ASIO at 44.1, so that's not a problem, but the <80hz is a big stinky one, that really sucks. Thanks for your info on this, I guess a good software solution is looking more and more like the route I want to go, anyone know if there is any software out there that can produce the same quality EQ(ing) as that of the DEQ2496.

Sep 20, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
VST plugins aren't for playback, are they?

Yes, if as I mentioned, they're used with a 'stream capture prog'. VSTs (or any plugin) can only do what their parent program can. Like I said, I use them for real time playback with Audio Hijack Pro.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Yes, if as I mentioned, they're used with a 'stream capture prog'. VSTs (or any plugin) can only do what their parent program can. Like I said, I use them for real time playback with Audio Hijack Pro.

Anyone know of anything similar to Audio Hijack Pro for the PC? Or a really nice player for windows that uses VST plugins?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back