Environmental effects on sound
Jan 4, 2011 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

blockhead

Head-Fier
Hi, just thought this might interest some people.

http://nettopdf.info/download/ebook/Enviromental%20Effects%20-%20Environmental%20Effects%20on%20the%20Speed%20of%20Sound/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5yYW5lLmNvbS9wZGYvcmFuZW5vdGVzL0Vudmlyb21lbnRhbCUyMEVmZmVjdHMlMjBvbiUyMHRoZSUyMFNwZWVkJTIwb2YlMjBTb3VuZC5wZGY

With people going to crazy lengths with exotic gear, I don't remember this getting much discussion. I can understand that with headphones the distances are going to be too small to have a large effect but with speakers maybe.

PS Sorry about the ugly link maybe someone could tell me how to create a "link to anchor in the text"

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 2
Careful room design and regulation of temperature/humidity are two major considerations that separate pro studios from typical rooms. But, then again, how many people can exactly reproduce the room environment of a mastering engineer? I'll bet the engineer himself would have a tough time measuring up to the standard mentioned in the paper:
Quote:
"No matter how small the change in the temperature, no matter how slight the humidity shift, the waves arrive shifted in phase and the resultant combination differs from the original."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back