Entry level speakers: Wharfedale 10.1, 10.2 or Audioengine A5 or P4
Mar 20, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 22
Just bought the A5 and the S8 sub. Sounded incredible with most of the songs I threw at it. However, it wasn't that great with more "technical" songs. However, it still blew my socks off, especially with the sub.

Thanks for all the help!

I'm just on the look out for some speaker stands now, so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 22
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier or not. The a5's scale very well with the source. Im currently using an audio-gd fun with the opa earth for a dac and preamp and the sound is perfect. Very detailed and the best sound stage I've heard to date. The technical songs are perfect. Everything is so well defined and clean. A completely black background. You might gain something by trying different opamps in your xonar essence. A good person to ask is robscix. The dual LME49710HA is quite highly recommended for the essence.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats on the purchase. you've made the right choice (imo) out of the other options you've mentioned. I was looking for an audio rack and came across these speaker stands that may be interest you Sanus - Basic Foundations III

Thanks a lot, really enjoying these speakers. And watching movies with the sub is a whole new experience.

I decided to go with the IKEA Billy Bookcase I needed some space for my books anyway and they were fairly cheap.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if I mentioned it earlier or not. The a5's scale very well with the source. Im currently using an audio-gd fun with the opa earth for a dac and preamp and the sound is perfect. Very detailed and the best sound stage I've heard to date. The technical songs are perfect. Everything is so well defined and clean. A completely black background. You might gain something by trying different opamps in your xonar essence. A good person to ask is robscix. The dual LME49710HA is quite highly recommended for the essence.

Ok firstly, bear in mind my understanding is quite rudimentary in this regard.

Generally, if I listen to rock or heavy metal the guitar comes across beautiful as does the bass (especially with the sub - which I have set to about 30% volume and 80Hz crossover). However, if I listen to Bocelli or anything that has a lot of vocals it starts to sound a little "muddy". Now this may be the source file (and I have a feeling it is) because while a lot of my songs are flac, and almost all are 200kbps+ I do have some below 200kbps.

I'm going to put in a CD and have a listen tonight and really put it through its paces.

Any song you would recommend I listen to? To get a real sense of the thing?

The bass of the sub is crazy though really has the "booming" effect. Although even with the speakers on mute I can still hear the song so I think it works pretty well.

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #21 of 22
I took a listen to the Wharfedale diamond 10.1 today and they sound pretty fantastic paired with a marantz amp. Was looking to get both the amp and the speakers for a small living room. I have an active subwoofer that could pair with it so i save a little money. Any opinions?

Uses:
Music --> Jazz, Classical, Lounge
&
Movies (watch a lot of bluray)

Sep 27, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
I took a listen to the Wharfedale diamond 10.1 today and they sound pretty fantastic paired with a marantz amp. Was looking to get both the amp and the speakers for a small living room. I have an active subwoofer that could pair with it so i save a little money. Any opinions?

Uses:
Music --> Jazz, Classical, Lounge
&
Movies (watch a lot of bluray)

I recently got the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, powered by the Peachtree Nova.  They sound fantastic.  The soundstage is wide and deep.  The treble is not piercing like my Focal 706V.  I think the mids are just right.  I didn't really listen to the bass because because I use a Velodyne Impact subwoofer with the speakers.  Overall, I think the Diamond 10.1 is great for a small/medium size room, whereas the Focals are better for larger rooms; when I'm sitting close to the Focals they can sometimes become overpowering, but not with the Diamond 10.1.  

I also listen to jazz, classical, and watch movies/TV.  The Diamond 10.1 works great with all those.  I think it's a great pair of speakers, especially for only $300 (which I consider inexpensive for speakers of this quality).  

I got the Diamond 10.1 from Wild West Electronics (http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/diamond-10-1-wharfedale-book-shelf-speakers.html), and I think it's a great deal for such great speakers.  And they look very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back