Ending the LOUDNESS WARS!!!!!
Apr 14, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #16 of 25
Yeah, go figure, it's not music that's trying to make it big on the radio.

While I hate the loudness wars, at the same time, I don't think all albums should sound the same as far as dynamic range goes either.  I've never looked at an album's numbers for dynamic range.  That's just analyzing music too much for me (but if that's your thing, I have no problem with it).  I trust my ears, and I can hear if a record has a nice dynamic range like what I usually like, or if a  lot of compression was used.  I really don't need an exact number, because I can't imagine it meaning much to me in most cases.

I think audiophiles sometimes get lost in analyzing the production of music and forget that really, in most cases, production makes up maybe 20% of what makes a good album (I'll raise that number for classical, hip-hop, electronic, and in some cases, jazz, but it's still going to be under 50%).  This is just my opinion obviously, but it's why I rarely read music reviews from audiphiles.  I've seen too many reviews where it's something along the lines of "These guitars are cool, and I like the drums here...now let me give you an essay on the production of this record."

Another thing to remember is that there is only one way a record should sound: the way the artists wants it do.  If that artists wants his/her album to be super compressed, lo-fi, or anything else shunned by audiophiles, that's the way the album should sound.  I'm not counting garbage like big record companies telling their artists how their stuff should sound (really, that's where the loudness wars come from).  I may not always agree with these decisions, and I may have my own opinion on how I wish something was produced, but at the end of the day, I'm not the one in the studio, and I'm not the artist.  An example of this for me is The Woods, from Sleater-Kinney, which was produced by Flaming Lips producer Dave Fridmann.  In interviews, it's been stated that they tried to make the record sound as if the listeners' speakers were broken (so the album clips quite a lot; not horribly like Californication, but it's very noticeable).  I'd like to hear the album without the clipping, but who knows, I may not like it as much.  The band wanted that distorted sound, and that's their right, and I might end up not liking the record as much if it sounded more clean.  Actually, I'd love to hear it distorted in more of a Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea way, where they just had everything run through tube preamps cranked way up, so they were really slamming the transformers hard.  Anyways, point is, I still love the record.  I've seen many people on this site say they won't listen to it because of the quality.  Man, I'm so against that.  The music on that album is still incredible, whether you like the production or not.  I really struggle to respect audiophiles like this, as I feel that they've started putting sound quality over music, and to me, that signifies no longer being a music lover, but a sound quality lover, and if you're not in this hobby for the love of music, I honestly think you could find better places to spend your money (sorry if that's a bit harsh, it's just how I feel).

Anyways, I went on a bit of a tangent there.  TL;DR: I don't like the loudness wars anymore than the next audiophile, but it's important to remember that production only makes up a small portion of what makes a good album (or just good music in general).  The only way a record should sound is how the recording artists wants it to sound, no matter how compressed, distorted, weird, etc. that may be.  The studio is a place to be creative.  My issue is when big record companies trying to get hits on the radio have their producers tweak records to make them sound different from what the artist intended (and this is the root of the loudness wars).  If anyone wants an example of this, look at what happened with Nirvana - In Utero (my favorite Nirvana record), originally produced by Steve Albini (who did the recent remaster with the remaining members of the band present).

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #17 of 25
I see your point. I can only say that a lot of my favourite albums have their dynamic range completely killed by Loudness War. I do like the music, i do not like the post-processing.
There are a lot of things to keep in mind, by the way. First of all the fact that music labels owns almost every right on the songs and the artists are under dictations. It is a reason why people started to run their own label.
I do no check dynamic range of every album i listen to (otherwise it will be a full time job ahah) but i was only running some tests because I was talking with a colleague of mine about René Girard book (Achever Clausewitz) jokin on the fact that on that book he predicted the loudness war

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #18 of 25
Yeah, I get what you mean.  I'm a big RHCP fan, and sometimes I struggle with Californication because of just how bad the mastering is (I hope someday they remaster it).  Then you listen to John Frusciante's solo material (which I absolutely love), and his production is often really good, but when you listen to it, it's clearly not the kind of production that gets you on the radio.

As far as labels go, yeah, I'm with you.  At least there are cool labels out there that aren't part of this bs (talking mainly rock and pop here, since those are the genres most affected) like Sub Pop, 4AD, Matador, Dischord, etc.

Tests can definitely be interesting.  I've never tried it, though I admit, it would probably be funny to do it on some of those records that are known as classic examples of the loudness wars.

Other than extreme examples like Californication, which is obviously awful, I don't usually struggle to enjoy the music without thinking of the production, but of course, I have my opinions and sometimes wish things had been done differently.  The loudness wars thing is frustrating, because it's affecting large artists that have the money to make excellent recordings.  It's more forgivable on records like Pavement's Slanted & Enchanted, as they were a new band and couldn't afford anything better at the time (still a great record though).

Apr 15, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #19 of 25
well, Metallica's Death Magnetic is an example, some Beatles' "remasters" and Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA (ahah, such appropriate album title).

anyway, I think I can help you with Californication. search on the net for the BrickwallHater californication version. It is a reissue done by a fan from the original masters of the album, de-clipped and cleaned and it is MUCH MUCH better. Since it is a torrent supposedly not endorsed by the band i think i cannot link it here but if you dont find it you can PM me and i will send you the link. I compared the original version with this BrickwallHater edition and dude... the differences are terrific

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 25
Thanks!  I know I've heard of fan-made "remastered" versions of the album, but I've never looked into them (probably because my RHCP collection has taken forever to organize, and I already have the alternate master of the album, which seems to be a bit better).  I'm downloading the one you mentioned right now.  I've been torrenting music all week, so I might as well keep it going :).

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #21 of 25
  Thanks!  I know I've heard of fan-made "remastered" versions of the album, but I've never looked into them (probably because my RHCP collection has taken forever to organize, and I already have the alternate master of the album, which seems to be a bit better).  I'm downloading the one you mentioned right now.  I've been torrenting music all week, so I might as well keep it going :).

aye, i'd like to know your feedback. glad to be helpful.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 25
Well, I have it on right now, and so far so good!  I'll edit my post later once I've listened to it all the way through at least once.  The part of the record that I've always hated the most as far as clipping goes was the chorus of the title track, so we'll see how that is once I get to it.

By the way, have you every listened to any of John Frusciante's solo stuff?

Edit:  Okay, yeah, it's definitely better.  I'm not listening at high volume right now, so I'll have to listen again later when I feel like using headphones (using speakers right now, and don't want to bother others), so I'll have a better idea later, but this is so much nicer.

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 25
  Well, I have it on right now, and so far so good!  I'll edit my post later once I've listened to it all the way through at least once.  The part of the record that I've always hated the most as far as clipping goes was the chorus of the title track, so we'll see how that is once I get to it.

By the way, have you every listened to any of John Frusciante's solo stuff?

Edit:  Okay, yeah, it's definitely better.  I'm not listening at high volume right now, so I'll have to listen again later when I feel like using headphones (using speakers right now, and don't want to bother others), so I'll have a better idea later, but this is so much nicer.

I find that edition really really good.
I ran also a comparative test track by track listening first the declipped version and then the original one. I could barely stand the latter: just brickwalled noise. And if I wanna hear noise I'll listen to Skullflower. First because they do real good noise music. Second because they master that noise avoiding brickwalling ahah.

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 25
Lol yeah, I know what you mean.  I love noisy music, when it's intended to be that way.  I'll gladly listen to my industrial hip-hop like Death Grips and my noise rock (way too many good artists to list).

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #25 of 25
As I've been ripping hundreds of CD's into FLAC's for my PonoPlayer, I'm doing plenty of research on the loudness wars.

The first bump up I hear is around 1990 by hard rock bands. There are still lots of dynamics and real instruments, but overall volume has gone up since noise floor is so low.

The second bump is in the late 90's, dance and island music and early digital automation really pushed things up to what we'd recognize as a modern level. These were the loudest CD's as internet files hadn't really taken off yet.

The latest pump came in after mp3 took over around 2005. Using limitless parallel compressions, limitless automation, limitless tracks and plugins, have pumped things to their highest level.

The result?  Most records in 2010 sound 50% louder to me than their comparable versions pre-1990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back