End game closed backs: DCA vs Denon vs Audeze vs... ZMF ... H.E.L.P.
Jan 8, 2024 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Matty87

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am on the verge of making the biggest splash by far since the search for my ultimate set of closed cans began over 10 years ago, and hoping to settle on cans to end my search indefinitely.

I had the opportunity to listen to about 15 closed cans I had shortlisted on the weekend including several flagships, and I narrowed the search down to 3, with 1 additional being the ZMF Bokeh which they will not have for demo for another month, when I will go back to demo that.

The 3 I have narrowed to after a listen are:

1. DCA Aeon 2 closed
2. Denon AH-D9200
3. Audeze LCD-XC 2021

I tried the Fostex TH900 mkii which I enjoyed as much as the above 3, maybe even more, but the pleather headband turned me off; my emu teaks which have the same headband are already peeling after 4 years. Headband has to be genuine leather, or better.

Currently I am slightly leaning more towards the Audeze as they isolate so well and that is important to me; the wife couldn't hear what I was playing sitting right next to me, I was impressed. DCA was almost as good here. Audeze is genuine leather too, build quality seems insane and they look unreal, plus are easy to dive; second only to the Denons. The highs on the Audeze make me nervous though, as I am sensitive to sibilance... sibilance is a deal breaker for me. I couldn't hear outright sibilance that made me wince... but some songs were close... Very close. Maybe I was being too vigilant here as it was the number 1 thing I was concerned about.

Before I make the splash, I was hoping for any last minute advice from ears more experienced than mine. Are there any well known issues with any of the above? Generally speaking, are all of them good choices?

I suppose more importantly... are there any reasons to avoid any of the 3?

I need to make sure there are no regrets with this one, so the pressure is on. Please help!

I will be listening to these mostly through my Topping G5, which can drive all easily.

Thank you everyone <3

Jan 9, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi all,

I am on the verge of making the biggest splash by far since the search for my ultimate set of closed cans began over 10 years ago, and hoping to settle on cans to end my search indefinitely.

I had the opportunity to listen to about 15 closed cans I had shortlisted on the weekend including several flagships, and I narrowed the search down to 3, with 1 additional being the ZMF Bokeh which they will not have for demo for another month, when I will go back to demo that.

The 3 I have narrowed to after a listen are:

1. DCA Aeon 2 closed
2. Denon AH-D9200
3. Audeze LCD-XC 2021

I tried the Fostex TH900 mkii which I enjoyed as much as the above 3, maybe even more, but the pleather headband turned me off; my emu teaks which have the same headband are already peeling after 4 years. Headband has to be genuine leather, or better.

Currently I am slightly leaning more towards the Audeze as they isolate so well and that is important to me; the wife couldn't hear what I was playing sitting right next to me, I was impressed. DCA was almost as good here. Audeze is genuine leather too, build quality seems insane and they look unreal, plus are easy to dive; second only to the Denons. The highs on the Audeze make me nervous though, as I am sensitive to sibilance... sibilance is a deal breaker for me. I couldn't hear outright sibilance that made me wince... but some songs were close... Very close. Maybe I was being too vigilant here as it was the number 1 thing I was concerned about.

Before I make the splash, I was hoping for any last minute advice from ears more experienced than mine. Are there any well known issues with any of the above? Generally speaking, are all of them good choices?

I suppose more importantly... are there any reasons to avoid any of the 3?

I need to make sure there are no regrets with this one, so the pressure is on. Please help!

I will be listening to these mostly through my Topping G5, which can drive all easily.

Thank you everyone <3

It's interesting that you're sensitive to sibilance but didn't have any issues with the TH900. What amp and dac did you demo all these headphones on?

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 5
Can you swing a DCA Ether C used? I'd seriously consider that over the Aeon. The odd shaped pads on the Aeon series may prove a source of frustration in the long run, and if this is really your end game the Ether should be a significant step up technically as well.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 5
It's interesting that you're sensitive to sibilance but didn't have any issues with the TH900. What amp and dac did you demo all these headphones on?
Yeah that's what the shop owner said. He was super surprised when i said i liked them, as i told him what sound i was looking for. I tested them on my DAPs, so FiiO X3ii and iBasso DX150.

I am planning on going back to do a shootout between all of these with my Topping G5 once it arrives, it has a lot more power than my DAPs.

Jan 10, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Can you swing a DCA Ether C used? I'd seriously consider that over the Aeon. The odd shaped pads on the Aeon series may prove a source of frustration in the long run, and if this is really your end game the Ether should be a significant step up technically as well.
So I am against used stuff generally speaking and Ether is more than I can spend... I didn't even demo it in the day for that reason.

Also I've heard it lacks bass from reviews as that is a concern for me, I love my bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back