emu 0404 with mic
Aug 14, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 13
What kind of microphone is it? You might need a mic preamp. The emu 0404 doesn't have one built in.

Aug 14, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 13
You can't use those cheap lil microphones with the emu cards, you need a seperate mic preamp, or a mic with a build in preamp.

Aug 14, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 13
You can't use one soundcard's control panel for another.

The Audigy 2 ZS has a microphone capable input, the emu 0404 doesn't. Microphones and instruments need a preamp because their inputs are lower than line level. This preamp would boost the signal to around live level and then you'd input that into your soundcard's line in.

As for patchmix configuration, you need to insert a physical source input strip for the line in. You then can send it various ways to your speaker.

Aug 14, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 13
I think only condenser mics need a preamp.

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo

I don't think that true. Certainly mics have different levels. Actually I had the impression condenser mics needed less amplification than dynamic mics (and much less than ribbon mics). (Maybe it's phantom power you're thinking of.)

Nov 24, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

not all electret/condeser mics will need a preamp depending on the application because most sound cards and recording devices have one built in but all need a source of DC power (phantom power).

As for using mics with computers,it comes down to application.

you would not use a omni for voice if you are anywhere near your speakers or the feedback howl will deafen you.You instead need to look for a tight pattern cardiod (unidirectiuonal) which willl only pick up souind from one direction.

then there is frequency response.Better to have limited response if you are doing speech only or the extra bandwidth will only be reproduced as a noise background from picking up ambient sounds (air conditioners are the worst !).Limited bandwidth does not always mean cheap just as wide bandwidth does not always make for a good mic.

bottom line on matching is to get the input sensitivity spec for whatever input you are jacking into then the mic sensitivity spec to see if you need to amp up or in some cases ,pad down

hope this helps

ricmiker
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 13
ssingh0, i've got a pair of 58s that i feed into my computer thusly:
SM58[XLR] -> Mixer -> Stereo RCA to 1/8" -> crappy line in on my Audigy
I've used polderbits, wasn't too impressed. Try the built-in windows sound recorder program to test your input levels. One thing you may have difficulty with is determining the actual input you're using (ie on my audigy i've got left in, right in, stereo in - but they all look the same on the back). For recording i use Cakewalk, but depending on what you're doing, you may need ProTools, or you may need a crappy wav recorder.

You don't need to amplify a dynamic mic (a condenser requires a preamp or 'phantom power').

Users who are viewing this thread

Back