EMU 0404 Questions
Oct 1, 2004 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mega

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I haven't been in the computer source fourms for a while, as i was very content with my current soundcard. Well, ive checked back in, and now i see that the EMU 0404 is all the rave for people who want great sound for a low price.

I have a TerraTec DMX 6Fire LT, and it sounds great.. but, as i move up the headphone ladder, people have been suggesting that i get a better sound card than my current card.

My question is, exactly how much of an improvement would i get by jumping from the Terratec to the EMU-0404? If its minor, than i wouldn't want to waste my time, but if its a big difference, then im all for it. The terratec is also 24/96 as well..so im wondering if it would be worth it.

Im not planning on getting the EMU-1212, since i would probably have no use for all the features. I just want music playback, and thats that. So it would probably be better to get the 0404 if i were to upgrade...right?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 7
My advice would be to go to a place you know you can return the 0404 easily (like Guitar Center, though they may charge a 15% restocking fee) and do a comparison for yourself.

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 7
I've never heard the TerraTec but I can tell you that the difference from my AV-710 was substantial. Even at the 710's price point, the price/performance ratio for the 0404 still makes it a good deal. Lan's review of it to the 1212m convinced me that the extra $100 for the 1212m isn't worth it. In fact, he preferred sound the 0404 to the 1212m.

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Hmm...I also have some logitech speakers that require 4-channel...the terratec supports it, but it seems that the EMU-0404 does not.

I can't just let my speakers go to waste, so is it possible to install the EMU and keep the terratec inside? How would i go about doing that, and how would i be able to switch back and forth?

Oh! And where can i order one of these cards for a good deal...and, what exactly would i need to connect my amp to the EMU 0404? Sorry for all the questions, but i might as well ask them now!

Oct 1, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Unless you run into some driver conflicts, you should be able to keep your speakers hooked up to TerraTec and use the 0404 for headphones. Programs like Winamp and Foobar let you pick the card you want for that player. I'm still using my onboard sound with my speakers.

The EMU uses mono 1/4" outputs so just two Radio Shack 1/4" male to RCA adapters and you can then use any RCA cables you want. If your amp takes 1/8" input then RCA to 1/8" will work after the RS adapters.

As for the best deal, I couldn't find ANYWHERE online selling for less than $99 so I bought it at Guitar Center for the return ease if needed. If anyone has a link to a better price please let me know so I can pricematch back to GC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back