Emm Labs CDSD/DCC2 combo with info on the differences between Dac6 and Dac6 "e"
Mar 30, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neil's comments earlier in this thread:

"I have connected my computer to the DCC2 and it sounds good. In my opinion, most of what makes the EMM Labs gear special is in that DAC. The transport is nice since it will operate as a Slave to the DAC's Master Clock. But, I think with a good computer as source, which, I believe can do this as well, you'd be achieving something similar."

Neil has probably listened to the best digital in the world. I would certainly consider his comments informed. I don't really know much about computer as source, but I'm pretty confident in the abilities of the DCC2 to serve as DAC. As far as transport duties are concerned, my current interest in computer as source is more about convenience than sonics, so I can't even begin to answer your question (but again, I think Neil can).

Wow, how could I overlook that post?
redface.gif

Thanks!

Neil, could you go a little bit further on this?
What did you use to connect your computer to the DCC2?

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, how could I overlook that post?
redface.gif

Thanks!

Neil, could you go a little bit further on this?
What did you use to connect your computer to the DCC2?

Well I wouldn't consider myself anywhere near an expert when it comes to computer-as-source. I have however, connected my laptop directly using an M-Audio USB to Optical output. Although I primarily use computer-as-source as a convenience (and not for the highest SQ), I was not at all satisfied with the result. The music sounded lifeless.

I then connected a Squeezebox using the spdif output to the DCC2. This was significantly better, but it still couldn't touch the CDSD/DCC2 combo. Although the sound was more or less acceptable, it was a lot thinner and slightly strident with my HE90's. It did not have the speedy transient response in the upper midrange that the HE90's need; nor did it exhibit the thick and impactful, yet articulate bass I have come to love as well. I did not try any modded Squeezeboxes.

I ended up speaking to Sleestack about this, and he was in the process at the time, of getting his Transporter modded. He told me that the transporter could act as a slave to the Master Clock inside the DCC2. If this is indeed the case, then I can see the performance jumping up quite a bit. I have as of yet to try this. I know this is precisely what Alex has been working on for his Slim Devices Mod he has been working on for the NWO. I believe there are various sound cards (one by EMU if I recall correctly) that should be able to do this as well.

The last thing I did was ask Alex Paychev (a local engineer in my neck of the woods and the man behind the APL mods), why it was that computer-as-source could not match the best transport/dac combinations. His answer was rather long, but the skinny of it had to do with the fact that the processor, power supply and hard-drives are extremely 'noisy' and pollute the signal integrity (I have no idea exactly how this is, so do not hold me to this technically). He went on to explain that very specific hard-drive's, processor's, modified sound-card's, a transformer based power-supply (not a switching PSU) for the computer, etc... could be used to improve upon this. According to him, we are not quite at the point at which computers will outdo a good transport. Transport technology itself is still improving.

Anyway, regardlessly, the next step for me is to investigate these options myself as I believe I have finished with my CDP/DAC search.

Neil

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I then connected a Squeezebox using the spdif output to the DCC2. This was significantly better, but it still couldn't touch the CDSD/DCC2 combo.

I ended up speaking to Sleestack about this, and he was in the process at the time, of getting his Transporter modded. He told me that the transporter could act as a slave to the Master Clock inside the DCC2.
Neil

Hi Neil,

Did you got a chance to compare the digital out of the Transporter with the digital out of the Squeezebox (using a DCC2 or anything else) ?
I am not satisfied with the digital output of the Squeezebox and I was wondering what kind of an improvement a Transporter would bring to the table.

Anybody else ?
Thanks

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought there would never be anything better than the EMM Labs CDSD/DCC2 SE with Aural Symphonics Glass Optical EMM cabling. Maybe there isn't. But maybe there is!

Neil

Like my new Audio Note CD 4.1x one box? I'm happy. I prefer AN to EMM, but this is all I could afford for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back