Effect of Sampling Rate on Jitter Effects?
Aug 10, 2004 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there any relation between the sampling rate (eg. by resampling in foobar) and the effect of jitter when using an external DAC?

I would suppose that these would be related, since jitter involves timing errors and sampling rate basically tells us how many samples there are per second.

I would suppose that if at a higher sampling rate we are sending more samples per second, the effect of jitter could be less noticeable. In a way, there would be more redundancy in terms of the sound information.

Then again, I'm not really qualified to make these comments. Hence my question to those who'd really know
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 12
[Guess]I'd think that with high samplerates that jitter would be more of a problem because the data needs to travel faster over the connection and the timing needs to be even more precise than with lower samplerates[/guess]

Aug 10, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 12
Increasing the sample rate with a fixed amount of jitter can't, a priori and IMHO, reduce the audibility of the jitter; in the best case, it would simply move around the modulation spectrum to a less audible area, because jitter extending beyond fs/2 would be mirrored back.

In reality, I would expect data jitter (due to trace capacitance) to increase quickly with sampling rate increases. I'm working on measuring these effects with my RME in loopback using extremely long FFTs. Preliminary results are... interesting. And forthcoming.

Aug 10, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 12
If I recall this correctly there is an inverse relationship between the threshold for audible impact of jitter and the sample rate.

If have read in some AES paper that the impact of jitter on the waveform becomes negligible for 16/44.1 data when the jitter is lower than 10-15ps.

If you go to 96Khz sample rate than you need even lower jitter.

For the higher sample rates I don't know whether the imperfections in the wave form manifest themselves only in the higher frequencies or impact the whole spectrum.

Cheers

Thomas
P.S. Publius, are the ADC and the DAC on the RME card independently clocked?

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
[Guess]I'd think that with high samplerates that jitter would be more of a problem because the data needs to travel faster over the connection and the timing needs to be even more precise than with lower samplerates[/guess]

Heh, by that theory SACD might be quite bitch, its samplerate is 2822.4khz

Aug 11, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Since the conversion principle on DSD is quite different from a PCM converter that is not necessarily the case and I do not know how jitter in the DSD stream manifests itself in the waveform.

However, I do understand that DSD converters produce a dramatically higher degree of high frequency noise in the ultrasonic range and have lower S/N ratio over 15Khz. Newer design apply more signal processing to compensate for that problem but it is still there.

I recall reading some lively discussions between Lip****z/Vanderkooy and Reefman.

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius
In reality, I would expect data jitter (due to trace capacitance) to increase quickly with sampling rate increases. I'm working on measuring these effects with my RME in loopback using extremely long FFTs. Preliminary results are... interesting. And forthcoming.

Publius, I'd be very interested in seeing your results. Be sure to post them when they're finished.

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
If have read in some AES paper that the impact of jitter on the waveform becomes negligible for 16/44.1 data when the jitter is lower than 10-15ps.

That seems like a very challenging threshold to meet from an engineering perspective. e.g. TI claims that DIR1701 averages 80ps of jitter but doesn't go into details in the datasheet; most other receivers claim at least three times that amount of jitter.

Do you, perchance, have a link to the paper or the abstract? I'd be very interested in reading it.

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Publius, I'd be very interested in seeing your results. Be sure to post them when they're finished.

I'll post them as soon as I'm comfortable with them. There are just way too many systemic pitfalls I'm figuring out that prevent me from making any sort of hard performance statement right now. The results will certainly be a lot messier than those cute pretty jitter graphs in Stereophile, that's for sure, but they should definitely be useful and validatable.

To answer Thomas's question: I honestly have no idea. If by what you mean is that I can play at 48k and record at 96k, then yes, they are independently clockable. If you're asking if they're using two completely separate clock systems (including the crystal), I strongly suspect not, although in the pictures it sort of looks like there's both a crystal AND an oscillator on board - no clue what's going on there. (I'm too lazy to take my case off and look at the board myself right now.)

Aug 12, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 12
Hi Publius,

this seems to indicate that the input and output are actually independent. I would probably verify this and see whether you can record a 44.1Khz signal at 96Khz.

If the ADC is in any form correlated to the clock of the sending DAC, then trying to measure jitter might not be very successful since the same jitter would apply in the same way to both in a loopback configuration.

Cheers

Thomas

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
Hi Publius,

this seems to indicate that the input and output are actually independent. I would probably verify this and see whether you can record a 44.1Khz signal at 96Khz.

If the ADC is in any form correlated to the clock of the sending DAC, then trying to measure jitter might not be very successful since the same jitter would apply in the same way to both in a loopback configuration.

Cheers

Thomas

I realize that. The general problem is that recording jitter essentially performs the inverse operation of playback jitter on the sound, so even if I had playback and recording on two completely separate systems with different sound cards, any common jitter modulation lines would be attenuated - it's not just playback and record on the same card. One could test with a matrix of different cards to try and characterize jitter lines as being specific to one card, but even then you're basically hosed on any common component (like, say, 60hz).

One idea I'm considering is to use the phase information to better classify the results. Jitter lines due to recording should be of an opposite "polarity" than lines due to playback. The big catch here is that amplitude modulation lines may look pretty similar to each of them under the right circumstances, so either I'd need to assume they don't exist or do some more clever footwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back