EF5: Voltage switch on the back panel
Dec 21, 2009 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN
I am testing a returned EF5 but it works perfect. The customer declared that "THIS UNIT ARRIVED TODAY AFTER OVER THREE WEEKS AND DOES NOT WORK“ . Actually the customer did not switch voltage selection from 220v to 110v on the back panel.

There is a voltage selection switch on the back panel for 110v/220v selection. We set it as 220v default. If your power voltage is 110v, please switch to 110v after you received the amp.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair, I think the voltage switch should be set as default to 110v for US customers ...

I think it is just safe practice to set it at 230 volts by default cause in case it ends up in a 230 volt country and the transformer is set to 115 volts..expect to see some fireworks.

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 9
What about the switch on the back of the DY-1 dedicated power supply unit for OUTPUT VOLTAGE? Input set to 110v for USA use, duh, but I can't find any documentation in the box or on HiFiMAN's or Head Direct's website about whether the switch for OUTPUT VOLTAGE should be at 18v or 16v or anything else, grrr...
angry_face.gif

edit: This is a very simple question, why can't anybody answer it?

Do I have a new version or something?

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Sounds like a safe practice to set the input voltage at 220 volt, then let the end user change it if needed. But if not already present, how about putting some detailed instructions somewhere easily available in the package (not to be missed).

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by agbassano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No response yet on the OUTPUT voltage (16v or 18v)???

It's been covered a few times in this thread recently; still waiting for Fang to way in but 18v is the best bet for the EF5 w/110v in, seems to be the consensus anyways and works for me
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for your confirmation!
ksc75smile.gif
My unit does have a voltage switch and came set at 16v. I've slid the switch to 18v and am listening away...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back