edition XS , ananda or ananda stealth ? first real taste of hifi ......
Aug 28, 2023 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JeffB1961

Previously known as BOOTYMONSTER
i'll be 62 sept 3rd and i know i don't hear sparkly highs like i used to . i've been using shp9500 for 8-9 years now and i've never REALLY liked them . i'm looking at referb ananda , refurb edition XS and refurb ananda stealth and i'm %95 decided i'm gonna use the schiit magni+ (discrete) to drive which ever i decide on . i'll get a decent DAC in another month or two but initially i'll be running from the 3.5 out of my computer (self built with asus TUF M/B) into my old school pioneer dinosaur/tank receiver , one speaker amp channel has died :frowning2: . anyhow ........ i want something with great soundstage and imaging to use watching movies/tv , but also CD/streamed music and of course general computer use , youtube and such . i know i'm not a "audiophile" but i want to treat myself to something pretty nice . is it a waste to get the stealths since i will never truly appreciate them ? but the stealth supposedly have the better soundstage and imaging .... FWICT . they are 309 , 349 and 399 refurb .

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 11
if you want something you will be running from your pc you might want look at something easy to drive like the meze 109 pro. but a nice dac/amp is always good to have with higher end headphones

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 11
i'm currently running the speaker output on the asus to an adapter cable with RCAs into my pioneer receiver RCA inputs . i'll order whatever headphones i decide on next weekend and then in october i'm planning on at least getting the schiit magni+ . so i'll have plenty of power from the pioneer for whatever i get til i get the magni+ . and then i'll get a dac and retire the pioneer .

thanks for the reply csch92

Aug 29, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 11
I have all three. The Ananda is really good, but the stealth has better imaging. The edition XS has a little more bass, but the bar headband will dig in after an hour or so. The Ananda with the ski style headband is all day comfort. The stealth is worth it if you play games, but the original is a good value also. If I had to start over, I would have just gone with the Ananda stealth. A JDS Atom is plenty of power, 1 watt into 32ohm, even a $9 Apple 3.5mm to USB dongle I've got will work.

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 11
also didn't hifiman release a organic version or something like this? heard they are supposed to be really easy to drive that even an iphone 4 makes them sound great

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 11
thanks for the replies . i'm not at all concerned about how easy they are to drive . the magni+ should have more than enough power and i'm now considering the fiio K7/K7BT for amp/DAC duties .

i am not gonna consider the regular ananda now but the ananda stealth are still in the running and the edition XS and i'm adding the audeze mm-100 if they become available real soon....probably won't though .if the mm-100 do come out i'll hold off a week or two on buying ti give time to read some reviews befog i buy .

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 11
called hifiman a few times (1-201-443-4626) to see if i can pay with something other than paypal and ask some questions but i keep getting a recording saying the mailbox is full and the recording says it's for a different phone # ........ not sure how to feel about that ... maybe they get LOTS of calls every day and can't keep up with them ? i've read a few comments about folks having a difficult time reaching them about problems too . i'd rather not do emails , so i guess i'll try to call a few to several more times . i've always felt that if i can't contact a company to spend my money on them that i'll have the same issue , or worse , if i ever need support for their product . but i'll be patient and try a few more times .
here's a few thought's i'm having and please feel free to share your thoughts/experiences related to them .

i'm 6ft1 300+ lbs. with a normal to maybe slightly larger head and i'm wondering if i'll NEED the slight swivel of the edition XS for a better fit/seal .

i also wondering if i'd be polishing a turd because of my ears , i have tinnitus a little and don't hear zippy highs like i used to . and if rather than investing in the ananda/ananda stealth/edition XS ..... maybe i'd be just as well served going with the 2020 sundaras ?

i'm only considering the refurbs ...
sundara $209
ananda non stealth $309
edition xs $349
ananda stealth $399

before i found the hifiman refurbs i was considering the hd560s and the tygr 300r , should i still be considering them even though the sundara refurbs are very close in price ????????

if i got the sundaras i could go ahead and get a atom+ amp or schiit magni+ or maybe a used piety from someone here ... or something else .
if i get one of the others i'll wait till next month and get one of them and a Bluetooth/DAC (fiio and topping have a few that look interesting) or maybe the fiio K7 bluetooth
i'll bug the crap out of y'all with amp/dac questions after i decide on what phones to get . haha

and i've been abusing the search function here !
thanks , jeff

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 11
thanks .
just talked to hifiman , kind of sort of , but not really . got some lady speaking broken english . if there wasn't a terrible echo and breaking up on her end i may have been able to understand her . but i got so frustrated that i thanked her for her time and hung up in the middle of trying to have a conversation :frowning2: . i don't have any problem with folks coming here . but if it concerns my money i dang well want to have a non frustrating conversation if i need help or more information . now i'm rethinking hifiman all together :frowning2: .

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 11
called and got the lady again and had a good connection so i feel less aggravated now . LOL
still undecided though ........

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #11 of 11
well , i went to set up a PP account and it's a total PITA and wants' more info/access than i'm comfortable with so hifiman is eliminated from my choices .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back