Edifier S730 digital audio question
Feb 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dougf

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I love my new Edifier S730 audio system.  My one problem is with the digital audio input.  I have connected a standard, digital optical cable (brand new) to my TV (a Panasonic, TH 50PX75U).  When I plug in the optical cable at the back of the TV I can see red light.  At the other end of the cable, when I go to plug in to the Edifier digital audio input, I can see red light coming through the end of the cable.  Thus, I believe I have a signal coming from the TV.

In theory, a digital signal from the TV causes the Edifier to automatically switch to the digital optical input.  That doesn't happen.  When I switch manually I still get no sound.  On the TV I have turned off the speakers (there are no options on the TV to turn on or off the digital output...according to Panasonic's help desk, it is always on).

The one thing that I'm starting to ponder is the line in the Edifier instruction manual that says that the system "does not accept Dolby Digital (AC-3) formatted signals.  Only standard PCM audio signals..."  The Panasonic says that it outputs a PCM Dolby signal.

While the Panasonic does not specify that it outputs an AC-3 formatted signal, are all Dolby signals AC-3 (in which case I would understand why my Edifier is not "seeing" any digital audio)?  Is it possible to output Dolby signals that are no AC-3?

I appreciate the help!
Doug

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 3
This might be your problem. From the manual, p. 44

"When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC
channel is selected, the output will be PCM."

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TH42PX75U.PDF

I think ATSC is digital tv, and NTSC is old analog style TV (you can check).

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 3
ATSC/NTSC is referring to broadcast television signals. It shouldn't apply for signals going to the TV from other sources, like a computer or blu-ray player. HOWEVER, if the blu-ray player is feeding a dolby digital signal to the TV, the TV might be relaying that digital signal to the optical output. Change the blu-ray player (or cable box, or computer, or whatever) to output PCM, then the TV might also relay the PCM signal to the optical output.

So - what is the source of your signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back