Eddie Current ZDS vs DNA Stratus
Aug 18, 2017 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mysticstryk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

Need some help deciding between these two boutique amplifiers.

Unfortunately due to my location, hearing either of these amps before purchase is not possible. I've scoured the respective threads on both these amps here and on other forums but could use some advice, particularly if anyone has heard both.

ZDS $2450: http://www.eddiecurrent.com/ZD.html
Stratus $3000: http://dnaudio.com/DNA-Stratus-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html

It is my understanding that the Stratus has been updated about a year ago, increasing resolution, clarity and moved it closer to neutral than the much warmer earlier units.

My primary headphones are: HD800s, 650, 600, probably an Atticus in the future.

I prefer a dynamic, neutral with a warm tilt (to take the edge off the HD800) sound. Lean or thin sounding bass/mids need not apply.

There is a 3rd amp I'm considering, though I haven't even mentioned it yet due to only a couple people having heard it as it is not released yet. That is the Eddie Current Aficionado ($3200). Mainly interested in hearing about the ZDS and Stratus right now.

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 10
I took delivery of a Stratus in February and have listened to the ZDS at a small meet with my LCD-XCs. I think both are superb amplifiers. IIRC, the ZDS pulled ahead of the Stratus in spatial resolution, having better delineated images. However, the Stratus countered with a lyrical quality to the presentation that the ZDS couldn't quite match. I also thought the Stratus had slightly more oomph in the bottom octaves. Currently, I pair the Stratus and a stock HD 800 with an Ayre C-5xeMP disc spinner as the source. I haven't heard anything since that's made me want to switch anything up.

Nice to see another Sonett 2 owner. I bought the Stratus primarily because I love the Sonett 2's sound so much and I wasn't disappointed.

Hope this helps!

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 10
I saw your post on the other thread (the other site) - struggled a little with it there, and continue to struggle similarly here.
I was also at that little meet, listening to the Stratus and my ZDS - unfortunately through LCD-X, which does not match the headphones you have listed.

I own the HD600, HD650, HD800S, and Eikon.
I own the BW, Sonett2, ZDS - have listened to the Stratus and Eddie Current BA. But I have no clue how to approach an answer to your question without a little better understanding of what you think of your headphones, in relation to your amplifiers - BW and Sonett2. I tend to think of all Eddie Current amplifiers as having the slight edge in dynamics, and the DNA with the slight edge in warmth (I prefer the term musical) while still keeping a nice transparency and neutrality.

I chose ZDS due to Utopia, and have never looked back. But with HD800 and Eikon, the task seems (perhaps) better suited to the Stratus. I would still love to hear your thoughts on how you compare the BW and Sonett2, to better understand if my thinking is correct.

Aug 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 10
I saw your post on the other thread (the other site) - struggled a little with it there, and continue to struggle similarly here.
I was also at that little meet, listening to the Stratus and my ZDS - unfortunately through LCD-X, which does not match the headphones you have listed.

I own the HD600, HD650, HD800S, and Eikon.
I own the BW, Sonett2, ZDS - have listened to the Stratus and Eddie Current BA. But I have no clue how to approach an answer to your question without a little better understanding of what you think of your headphones, in relation to your amplifiers - BW and Sonett2. I tend to think of all Eddie Current amplifiers as having the slight edge in dynamics, and the DNA with the slight edge in warmth (I prefer the term musical) while still keeping a nice transparency and neutrality.

I chose ZDS due to Utopia, and have never looked back. But with HD800 and Eikon, the task seems (perhaps) better suited to the Stratus. I would still love to hear your thoughts on how you compare the BW and Sonett2, to better understand if my thinking is correct.

I'm enjoying my BW just a little bit more with my Senns lately. It is a little more lively than my laid back Sonett 2, while still remaining fatigue free. I used to prefer a laid back sound, but if EC amps can give me a bit more dynamics while still having smooth treble, then that's the way I'm thinking I should go. The impressions of the Stratus as being soft or bass shy scares me away, but I know Donald has made changes about a year ago that may have addressed this - which is why I'm torn. Now throw the Aficionado into the mix and my decision is even harder to make.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 10
Trying not to sound like a raving lunatic, who likes the Eddie Current sound - I'm going to break down my offline thoughts of a few amplifiers for you, and my online thoughts on the Aficionado.

BW vs BA

The BW is my goto amplifier for the HD800 series. It is the first amplifier, which I turned up the volume a little too high on the HD800S. My reference point for volume was to turn up until the treble peak bothered me. Well, it never did - so I had to acquire other points of reference to use the BW. It also became my reference amplifier for clarity. I had not heard anything with such easy clarity before BW. Then the BA steps up each of these qualities. There is a keen sense of space, and clarity, and a musical, just need to tap-your-feet kind of enunciation of rhythm. Whereas I watch my volume on the BW, I just don't care on the BA because there is so much musical goodness happening. I think owning it would be quite dangerous, indeed, to my hearing (certain number hours of high decibel listening each day == not good).

Stratus vs BA

The Stratus is equally good, but impacts me in a different way. I feel at the end of a stressful day, the Stratus will sooth me. It will allow me to hear just as much detail, with just as much ease through the HD800. But I first need to slow my breathing, let my heart rate come down a few beats, stop my connection to the external world and let the music flow into me. I think you get part of this sense with the Sonett 2, but you pay a little more and get a little more. Stratus is also NOT bass-shy.

ZDS vs BA

Had access to both these at a recent meet - quite a lot more noise, but it did allow for direct comparison. Argument could be made for having both as their character is quite different. Many persons at the meet commented at preference of the ZDS over the BA. I think the ZDS is a little more direct to the sound, and probably easier to recognize under meet conditions. I also think there is a little more warmth and tube character in the BA, combined with larger stage size and easier access to the notes - particularly the zingy treble sounds, but also more impact in the bass. ZDS does not do bad things with my HD800S, but the BA does better things.

TL;DR - I am not suggesting the ZDS as your path forward. I definitely think a comparison between the Aficionado and Stratus is what you're after...

::

Aficionado, I know only what I have read. But the sense I get is of an amplifier, at the level of the BA or Stratus. It will provide clarity, without ruthlessness - meaning it should work well with HD800, though perhaps not as well as BA for the HD800, if you crave warmth. But for the Eikon and HD6xx, I think you will get more clarity than even BA provides - a good match for these.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 10
Trying not to sound like a raving lunatic, who likes the Eddie Current sound - I'm going to break down my offline thoughts of a few amplifiers for you, and my online thoughts on the Aficionado.

BW vs BA

The BW is my goto amplifier for the HD800 series. It is the first amplifier, which I turned up the volume a little too high on the HD800S. My reference point for volume was to turn up until the treble peak bothered me. Well, it never did - so I had to acquire other points of reference to use the BW. It also became my reference amplifier for clarity. I had not heard anything with such easy clarity before BW. Then the BA steps up each of these qualities. There is a keen sense of space, and clarity, and a musical, just need to tap-your-feet kind of enunciation of rhythm. Whereas I watch my volume on the BW, I just don't care on the BA because there is so much musical goodness happening. I think owning it would be quite dangerous, indeed, to my hearing (certain number hours of high decibel listening each day == not good).

Stratus vs BA

The Stratus is equally good, but impacts me in a different way. I feel at the end of a stressful day, the Stratus will sooth me. It will allow me to hear just as much detail, with just as much ease through the HD800. But I first need to slow my breathing, let my heart rate come down a few beats, stop my connection to the external world and let the music flow into me. I think you get part of this sense with the Sonett 2, but you pay a little more and get a little more. Stratus is also NOT bass-shy.

ZDS vs BA

Had access to both these at a recent meet - quite a lot more noise, but it did allow for direct comparison. Argument could be made for having both as their character is quite different. Many persons at the meet commented at preference of the ZDS over the BA. I think the ZDS is a little more direct to the sound, and probably easier to recognize under meet conditions. I also think there is a little more warmth and tube character in the BA, combined with larger stage size and easier access to the notes - particularly the zingy treble sounds, but also more impact in the bass. ZDS does not do bad things with my HD800S, but the BA does better things.

TL;DR - I am not suggesting the ZDS as your path forward. I definitely think a comparison between the Aficionado and Stratus is what you're after...

::

Aficionado, I know only what I have read. But the sense I get is of an amplifier, at the level of the BA or Stratus. It will provide clarity, without ruthlessness - meaning it should work well with HD800, though perhaps not as well as BA for the HD800, if you crave warmth. But for the Eikon and HD6xx, I think you will get more clarity than even BA provides - a good match for these.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Aficionado or Stratus. Your description of the Stratus vs Sonett 2 is spot on to how I feel about my Sonett 2. Just a relaxing and detailed presentation. Do you know which version of the Stratus you heard? Thank you for your impressions. I filled out an order form for the Aficionado and I MIGHT be able to demo the Stratus soon, so I may be able to compare them myself (though not directly, EC AF is a ways out still).

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 10
At this point, I'm leaning towards the Aficionado or Stratus. Your description of the Stratus vs Sonett 2 is spot on to how I feel about my Sonett 2. Just a relaxing and detailed presentation. Do you know which version of the Stratus you heard? Thank you for your impressions. I filled out an order form for the Aficionado and I MIGHT be able to demo the Stratus soon, so I may be able to compare them myself (though not directly, EC AF is a ways out still).

I heard the Stratus from @yage.
I read the title of your thread, and he's the first person I thought you'd want to seek. Funny, he'd already posted in your thread :smile:

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm sort of in OP's shoes. Been on the fence for some time and considering both ZDS, BA and the Stratus

I recently sold my Elise as I found it too "wet". It is very euphonic but the trade off is lack of slam and dynamics.

I'm looking for a tube amp that can drive both the HD800s as well as planars. Would love an alternative sound to my LCD3s (currently using Milo -> LCDs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back