"Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd" any good?
Nov 25, 2001 at 4:59 PM Post #16 of 26
I tried to be subtle about it before, but not this time. Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Just to put my comments in context, I currently own the "big three" DSOTM/Wish/Wall...

I really wish you would stop calling them the "big three". I don't know any Pink Floyd fan who refers to them that way. Quote:

...I didn't want to purchase full albums like "animals" "meddle" etc.

You don't know what you're missing. Animals is simply an amazing album, and Meddle is worth the price of entry for "One of These Days" and "Echoes" (probably my favorite track by Pink Floyd ever). I assume you already know that (what you're missing, that is), and just say that as counterpoint for any lurkers who may be out there.

Anyone who only owns the "big three" (sic) owes it to themselves to go out and get Animals right now! Sorry for shouting.

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:24 PM Post #17 of 26
DCC titles are all remastered on vintage tube equipment, and the engineer, Steve Hoffman, has a unique philosophy that is directly tranlated into his work. I like his sound. I've found some of his titles to be great, and very different from the original releases, but definitely still worth having. Other titles have, for me, become the definitive versions--absolutely beautiful work. His work is, among other things, characterized by a lush midrange and a wonderful tonality. The acoustic guitar, the human voice, the piano, all have a marvelous lifelike quality to it. You will find none of the digitally manipulated and compressed nonsense that plagues much of what's available these days. I believe anyone who loves classic rock in particular, and music in general, owes it to themselves to check out at least one of DCCs better titles. Of course, it might not be your cup of tea either.
wink.gif

http://www.netassoc.net/dougspage/interviews.htm

I have a handful-and-a-half of MFSL discs that are currently untouchable by anything picked up off the shelf, imo. Most of their stuff is boosted a bit top and bottom, but the sheer dynamic range and clarity of their sound makes it worth it to me. I won't buy an MFSL disc unless it is first recommended, because I have had a couple dissappointments, and not cheap ones either.

It's up to the individual, really. I guess it's just my predilection to seek out the best versions of my favorite music. With all the prose that goes on about the great systems we discuss, to me the music is always the bottom line.

Johnny if you're interested in titles, be more specific, or drop a PM.

Nov 25, 2001 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
I tried to be subtle about it before, but not this time.You don't know what you're missing. Animals is simply an amazing album, and Meddle is worth the price of entry for "One of These Days" and "Echoes" (probably my favorite track by Pink Floyd ever). I assume you already know that (what you're missing, that is), and just say that as counterpoint for any lurkers who may be out there.

Anyone who only owns the "big three" (sic) owes it to themselves to go out and get Animals right now! Sorry for shouting.

Sorry, the above post was in response to DarkAngel and Johnny.

Back on track. Your SHOUTING reminds me of days of old, and those high db verbal exchanges I've had with neighbors, concerning even higher db soundwaves emiting from my apt. which more often than not were electo-vibrated directly off some Pink vinyl disc or another. Yes, Animals is a fantastic work, no arguments there. But don't you agree, that it is much less accessable than the big three (sorry)? That the songs are all long and the theme much heavier and more relentless than the rest (the big three again) sets it apart just a bit I think. It's less commercial, if you will.

Nov 26, 2001 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Sorry, the above post was in response to DarkAngel and Johnny.

As was mine -- mostly DarkAngel. Quote:

Back on track. Your SHOUTING reminds me of days of old...soundwaves...more often than not were electo-vibrated directly off some Pink vinyl disc or another.

Ah, yes! Quote:

...don't you agree, that it is much less accessable than the big three (sorry)?

Wha-wha-what?

Apology accepted (we're so polite around here, even when we're disagreeing).

No, I have to credit Animals with getting me into Pink Floyd in the first place. AOR (known then as "Album Oriented Radio") was big back then, and they played the first 5-10 minutes of both "Sheep" and "Dogs" (often), so I went out and bought the album.

Sure, it's oppressive, but a lot of people dig that, y'know?

Dec 4, 2001 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 26
Hmmm.

I have to disagree with many opinions around here.

"Echoes" has to be the *best* sounding CD out there by Pink Floyd. It beats the 1992 remasters by a mile. It has a very distinct, "natural" sound to it.

Check out the leaflet, too.... it's remastered using modified Da Pavarizi tape players. Does the name ring a bell?

It should. A company that recently went out of business used them to remaster their own works. A company that used to be called "Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs".

Can you tell, I love the compilation? And I already owned their entire works, the Shine On set, and the MoFi remaster of Atom Heart Mother.

That, and "Animals" rocks. BIG TIME.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2001 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 26
The Final Cut

Without a doubt.

...although every Pink Floyd album has it's own different "style" and IMO they are all excellent.

IMO The Wall, WYWH and DSOTM are all very very good - but overrated compared to albums such as The Final Cut, Meddle, Animals, Atom Heart Mother (but not Alans Psychedelic Breakfast), More, Obscured by Clouds.

--Jatinder
(Big PF fan - over 150 PF albums/bootlegs etc)

Dec 6, 2001 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 26
jatinder, I think that people who like Roger Waters' solo works are inclined to enjoy "The Final Cut".

I don't like Roger's works after "The Wall", and I find TFC a complete pain to listen to. I listened to it twice and shelved the CD forever. I think Gilmour had the melodic balance to Waters' lyrics.

I have to accept, though, "The Division Bell" would rank as one of my top 5 PF albums, along with Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, Dark Side of the Moon and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2001 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 26
fjhuerta,

Everyone I've spoken to about The Final Cut hated it at first.

It was only after listening to it regularly (in the car, headphones etc) for several months, that its greatness dawned on me.

Regardless of what it says on the album, the music is pure Pink Floyd and the lyrics are pure Roger Waters. It's not a Roger Waters solo album performed by Pink Floyd.

Just before deciding to record The Wall, Roger Waters apparently played 3 demo tapes to Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Final Cut and The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking. The band chose to go with The Wall although they didn't think any particular one was any better than the rest.

The Final Cut is (IMO) the next instalment to The Wall and is very similar to The Wall but much more understated - and that's where its beauty lies. Give it a few more listens - you might be surprised.

The Final Cut is definitely a true Pink Floyd album - and I agree that Roger Waters' solo albums (eg Pros and Cons) do leave a little more to be desired.

--Jatinder

(My fave live PF tracks - Fat Old Sun (14 mins), Embryo (10 mins), Green is the Colour (4 mins), Careful with that Axe, Eugene (8 mins) - all recorded live in 1971/2, available on bootlegs worldwide!)

Dec 6, 2001 at 6:31 PM Post #24 of 26
I love Wish You Were Here, but I listen to Animals three times as much. It's great!!

I've been lurking on Head-fi, trying to figure out what my first headphone system will be (right now leaning towards Corda HA-1 ---> Ety 4S with an undetermined PCDP or CDP source), but my original Animals CD is one of the ones I'm really looking forward to hearing through cans. I hope they did a good job with this CD!

Johnny

Dec 6, 2001 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 26
Animals is OK through headphones, but it doesn't have the sonic qualities of, say, Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle or The Wall.

Dec 9, 2001 at 7:20 PM Post #26 of 26
I recently bought "Echoes" after reviewing its cover notes and the PF material on All-Music Guide (allmusic.com). I wanted a CD to go with my PF vinyl and was most pleased with the result. "Echoes" suggests a continuity to PF's work which was belied back at the time of its compenent albums by some individual members' personal problems and pretenses. [Sorry, but PF (although not the model) always brings "This is Spinal Tap" to my mind.] "Echoes" remastering smoothly integrates the sound qualities of the 60s works through the improved production characteristics of PF's later works. It's a long but enjoyable listen start to finish. Recommended.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back