Easy to drive open back
May 20, 2016 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gabrieldandrea

New Head-Fier
I am going to start a new thread asking about something I was discussing in another post: what open back do you recommend in the $ 300-500 range, strong on soundstage, that can be driven by a (good) DAP alone, like the Fiio X line (I currently own a X1 but Im in the marketing for a X7), without a dedicated amp? I was leaning towards the Hifiman 400i but I was told its hard to drive without an amp. For the record, I listen mostly to hard rock and metal. And Pink Floyd. Thanks a lot.

May 21, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 13
If you wish them to be driven straight out of a DAP, then for me it is these three:

HP200
HE 400S (runs great out of DAP--sounds incredible)
Fidelio X2

If you had a little more money to spend, we could get you into the outstanding ZMF product line (would need an amp).

May 21, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 13
Most hard rock and metal are not "soundstage music"...I have several thousand metal files in my collection and count on one hand how many have a large soundstage.So I think that looking for a wide soundstage headphone would work for Pink Floyd,but not the majority of the genres you like.

For rock and metal that are easy-ish to drive I'd look into Grados.

I disagree with the above mentioned HD600s...theyre great headphones but far too polite for metal and hard rock IMO,not to mention they have next to zero soundstage.

May 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are my favorites. Next would be ac/dc, black sabbah, guns, Judas priest, Ozzy. I think Led and Floyd have very well produced albuns. Same for some Judas Priest. What are the recomendations for those?

May 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 13
Well, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are my favorites. Next would be ac/dc, black sabbah, guns, Judas priest, Ozzy. I think Led and Floyd have very well produced albuns. Same for some Judas Priest. What are the recomendations for those?

Yep,I like all those bands too,and none of them are "huge" soundstage bands...You say soundstage in rock I think Floyd,Fleetwood Mac,Eagles,Bowie,Stones.

I would still recommend Grados.Theyre not comfy,dont have much soundstage,but they kick ass for rock and metal,which is about 75% of my listening.

If you can add an amp to the equation then it would open up a whole new world of possibilities for you.

May 21, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 13
Well, if soundstage is not a high factor, Im starting to lean towards the IEM again, but for what a have read about them, those are supposedly fragile and non durable itens, is ir correct? I considered the grado gr10 but not having removable cables is kind of a dealbreaker. What are your thoughts on IEM?

May 21, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 13
The thing is, I own a B&W P7 and I very much like it, but I want something different. Now I am inclined for something I could also use on the go, hence my questions about a high end IEM, and I read they can sound as good a any over ear headphone in the same price range, especially if one is not willing to take the dedicated amp road, wich is my case. I want to make do with a good DAP alone, like the Fiio X7 or the AK JR. Since I have been advised not to worry about soundstage because I listen mostly to metal and hard rock (though I do like Pink Floyd a lot), I am more than ever leaning towards the IEM. So, please, help me choose one! I have considered Shure, Westone, Grado, Sennheiser, all in the $300/500 range. What should I get? Thanks a lot!

May 21, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 13
I know zero about IEM...sorry.

May 22, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterzero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I disagree with the above mentioned HD600s...theyre great headphones but far too polite for metal and hard rock IMO,not to mention they have next to zero soundstage.

That depends. Listen to metal with a lot of instruments going on - like Nightwish or Epica - with a Grado, and everything feels like it's all being thrown at you. Think Street Fighter in first person view and what E.Honda's Hundred Hand Slaps looks like, except for the entirety of the match he's being controlled by a button-mashing six year old. With the HD600, while it doesn't have the soundstage depth of the HD800 or K70x/712 (which is dependent on the earpad condition, and cheap third party pads are either symmetrical or otherwise might wear out too fast, and originals are $90/pr), you still get everything laid out well enough just slightly outside your forehead. Brainwavz HM5 angled earpads also help a lot.

Oh and they just need a good amp. As much as they won't sound terrible with a lot of amplifiers and even an iPad, some amplifiers just do a heck of a better job. This Meier puts their dynamics on par with Grados - very black background and very low distortion even at ear drum-shattering levels.

This amp is surprisingly not bad either...transparent, a lot like a Meier (or Schiit) with a higher noisefloor likely thanks to the included 12AX7. Once that conks out I'm putting in a spare Mullard. Note though the level at which noise really kicks in is well above safe listening levels, but given how a blacker background on amps help make the dynamic range more perceivable, IF the Mullard does have lower noise then it might have other benefits as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back