ear-clips or ear buds?
Oct 15, 2002 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tachyon

New Head-Fier
Ok, I heard and read lots about earbuds on this forum. Everything looks good to me, but the problem I had with ear buds in the pass is that they hurt after a while of continuous listening.

I am looking for ear clips or "street styles" but nothing too bulky. Are there advantages / disadvantages of these? will I get more bass from them? Good brands / recommendation of ear clips / street styles?

Thanks

Oct 15, 2002 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Once I started using the foam pads that come with (some) earbuds, I have found them to be far more comfortable, to the point of not noticing that they are there any more. Before that they used to feel very uncomfortable, and would slip out even after a good wipe with a tissue. (I use Sennheisser MX500's).
I can get plenty of replacement foam pads too from HMV so I'm happy with the earbuds now.
Personally I wouldn't use earclips/neckbands/streetstyles etc as to me they look a bit silly.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 5
The solution for you is the Koss KSC-35 clip-ons. Comfy, great sound. They've been discontinued, so keep your eyes open on eBay and at the Buy/Sell forum here. They cost around $25.

Oct 18, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 5
what are the advantages / disadvatnages of ear clips versus ear buds?

whats is "open" and what is "close"?

sorry, newbie Questions here.
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 5
first the lingo: closed(isolating)=keeps outside sounds out and keeps your music in. Open(non-isolating)=music leaks out and environmental sounds get in.

that said, if you want isolation, you aren't going to find it in clip-ons. By their very nature clip-ons let sound in, which can be an advantage or a disadvantage it's up to how you use them.

the advantages of earbuds are: you can get isolation if you want it (etys, sony EX70, aiwa VX100), you can get bass if you want it (EX70) and some of them sound quite good. I've never heard the MX500/400s, so i can't comment on them, but their wuite popular as well as cheap.

the disadvantages of earbuds are: fit is entirely dependant on your ear. The EX70s are probably a little better for this than most other low-cost buds because they come with three different sizes of gaskets to wear. Personally i've yet to find an earbud, which i can wear comfortably for extended periods, my ears just don't like them.

Advantages of clips are: they can be quite comfortable, even my least-comfortable clip-ons don't bother me much. You can get pretty good sound from them too although the character is different from earbuds since the sound comes from outside your ear rather than in it.

Disadvantages of clip-ons are: no isolation (if you want it) and not as many models available (in the us anyway)

Unfortunately i don't own the Koss KSC35, so i haven't been able to compare them to the clip-ons i own, but i should be getting a pair of portapros in a few weeks, so i should be able to give some decent impressions then.

hope this helps,
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back