E-MU E-DSP = EMU10k2
Aug 17, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalzone
this is coming straight from the mouth of EMU, but the dsp on the EMU 1212M is not the exact model and it does NOT resample. the drivers/patchmix prevent that by only allowing the use of dsp effects when set to 44.1khz or 48khz. also, the dsp does all processing in 32bit unlike either audigy or the audigy 2.
check out the forums on http://www.productionforums.com/emu/ where an EMU employee frequents by the name of ICHI.

yeeyy, is right. the WDM drivers do support upto 24bit/48khz although new drives which are supposed to be released soon will support 96khz/192khz in WDM.

I stand corrected on the 16/48 limitation of E-Mu's WDM drivers. It does do 24/48.

And the Audigy2 and Audigy2 ZS both have DSPs which do 32/48, as well. In fact, anything that must go through the Audigy2's DSP's gets resampled to 32/48 and then back.

Aug 17, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #17 of 21
on the audigy's the resampling definately occurs, but i can't imagine that EMU would stick a resampling DSP on a card that they're trying to sell of as high-end card.
it could be possible that the resampling is done at the driver level. it wouldn't take much cpu power to resample audio from 44.1khz to 48khz and then back again. i'm just guessing...

of course, if you're sending all of your data at 96khz or higher (like many foobar2k users) to the EMU card than there's no cause for concern.

by the way, is there such a thing as bit perfect resampling?

Aug 17, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #18 of 21
that DSP is not resampling by itself, it's just the way it's used on all Audigy cards, having just one crystal oscillator with clock for 48kHz multiples.. it's a consumer card, they haven't bothered with true 44.1kHz support.. I think the DSP is highly customisable, maybe you can get 32bit precision by paralleling two 16bit chains or such, who knows.. even if Audigy2, 2ZS use 32bit precision, it tells almost nothing because there is DSP from some old stock of original Audigy.. I bet it's one of the reasons those cards cost what they cost
wink.gif

the fact is that even on the E-MU cards DSP runs on 48kHz oscillator, it most probably works like this: 44.1 is slower then 48 so it apply the effect faster then realtime and then buffer it and clock it out at 44.1 using real 44.1 oscillator.. they now doesn't support effects at >48kHz, that means they somehow haven't figured out how to run one effect on two or four DSP chains in parallel to get 96 or 192 capability..

Aug 17, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 21
no pics sorry, don't have a damn camera..

the chip on RME cards is not even a DSP, it's a programable logic array, something you can make eggs or apples from it, depends on what you like
wink.gif
there is also a smaller logic array on the E-MU cards that's not on any Audigy card, it's the one that takes care of proper signal routing and most probably the buffering, thanks to it the card behaves like a pro card not like a crap card
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
no pics sorry, don't have a damn camera..

the chip on RME cards is not even a DSP, it's a programable logic array, something you can make eggs or apples from it, depends on what you like
wink.gif
there is also a smaller logic array on the E-MU cards that's not on any Audigy card, it's the one that takes care of proper signal routing and most probably the buffering, thanks to it the card behaves like a pro card not like a crap card
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess it's the smaller Xilinx Spartan chip directly above the emu10k2...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back