DX5 Interference/clicking/popping while using PC?
Nov 22, 2023 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jimmy34

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I just picked up a Topping DX5 it works perfectly if I'm doing nothing on my PC but as soon as I do any light work like clicking on a website in my bookmarks I hear the a faint digital sound as if the song was recorded bad at that part, I get it with Foobar and while watching a video with MPC-HC.
I tried a different usb b cable, tried different ports too for all my usb devices
Using an Apple dongle in my PCs using C port I do not get this issue.
Tried different things like Windows 10 power modes and USB suspend options etc

If I just watch a show/movie or play music there's no issues.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Typical USB port interference. Your motherboard's USB wiring is either not that good or the USB controller chipset has something wrong. It gives out too much bad signal for the internal USB interface of DX5, especially when you moving your USB mouse or access other USB devices. Those bad signal can be recognized but not repaired. The good/correct signal cannot transfer enough good musical data to feed into DAC chip, so you'll notice the bad signal.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Typical USB port interference. Your motherboard's USB wiring is either not that good or the USB controller chipset has something wrong. It gives out too much bad signal for the internal USB interface of DX5, especially when you moving your USB mouse or access other USB devices. Those bad signal can be recognized but not repaired. The good/correct signal cannot transfer enough good musical data to feed into DAC chip, so you'll notice the bad signal.
So nothing to buy to add to the usb port can fix something like this or some sort of pcie usb adaptor?

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 9
So nothing to buy to add to the usb port can fix something like this or some sort of pcie usb adaptor?

You could try a USB to optical or coaxial unit, I have no experience with them I just know they exist, the DX5 has digital inputs for both.

Alternatively it might be less of a headache, trying different things to fix a problem that you really don't definitively know the source of, to get an iPad or similar and use that as a dedicated music source.

I generally use a DAP or an iPad as a source but on occasion when I use my laptop in my home office I notice annoying little noises with some gear that seem to stem from the USB-C hub that is built into my monitor. Oddly it can manifest itself when moving the bluetooth mouse but if I unplug the USB-C cable between the laptop from the monitor the noises go away even with the same mouse and keyboard. The noises will be there with some DACs or DAC/amps and not others, I guess some are better at managing a less than optimal digital signal.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 9
You could try a USB to optical or coaxial unit, I have no experience with them I just know they exist, the DX5 has digital inputs for both.

Alternatively it might be less of a headache, trying different things to fix a problem that you really don't definitively know the source of, to get an iPad or similar and use that as a dedicated music source.

I generally use a DAP or an iPad as a source but on occasion when I use my laptop in my home office I notice annoying little noises with some gear that seem to stem from the USB-C hub that is built into my monitor. Oddly it can manifest itself when moving the bluetooth mouse but if I unplug the USB-C cable between the laptop from the monitor the noises go away even with the same mouse and keyboard. The noises will be there with some DACs or DAC/amps and not others, I guess some are better at managing a less than optimal digital signal.
Pretty much bought this to use for this PC which is a little annoying, and the sound only happens after I click the mouse like opening a new web site etc, doesn't look related to the mouse but more what the pc is doing as far as I can see but who knows. Not much running in the backround or anything. Did mess around wit the buffer settings but I think that's for ASIO only, also lowered the 32/44 to 24/44.
Might have a spdif cable laying around somewhere to try

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Pretty much bought this to use for this PC which is a little annoying, and the sound only happens after I click the mouse like opening a new web site etc, doesn't look related to the mouse but more what the pc is doing as far as I can see but who knows. Not much running in the backround or anything. Did mess around wit the buffer settings but I think that's for ASIO only, also lowered the 32/44 to 24/44.
Might have a spdif cable laying around somewhere to try
I don't recommend another USB interface to use with DX5. DX5's interface is just enough for it. If you buy a sub-or around-100 usd interface/USB to optical adapter, you'll only get worst or at most equivalent performance.
I suggest try: 1. make sure your wall outlet is grounded. 2. Move DAC's USB cable to one that directly wired to CPU, instead of chipset (you need to do some research on which USB port of your motherboard is). Never use front USB port of PC case. 3. Grab an famous brand USB hub with a power adapter, which should provide a separate ground line.

Nov 23, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 9
I don't recommend another USB interface to use with DX5. DX5's interface is just enough for it. If you buy a sub-or around-100 usd interface/USB to optical adapter, you'll only get worst or at most equivalent performance.
I suggest try: 1. make sure your wall outlet is grounded. 2. Move DAC's USB cable to one that directly wired to CPU, instead of chipset (you need to do some research on which USB port of your motherboard is). Never use front USB port of PC case. 3. Grab an famous brand USB hub with a power adapter, which should provide a separate ground line.
I have a powered USB hub, would plugging that into a usb port directly wired to the CPU then the dac/amp into that hub would work in a perfect world?
Also I may have fixed the issue, still testing. It seems the usb c port/cable my apple dongle was connected to I guess was causing some sort of interference to the other usb ports? who knows

Nov 23, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 9
I have a powered USB hub, would plugging that into a usb port directly wired to the CPU then the dac/amp into that hub would work in a perfect world?
Also I may have fixed the issue, still testing. It seems the usb c port/cable my apple dongle was connected to I guess was causing some sort of interference to the other usb ports? who knows
Yes, a good USB hub may fix your issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back