DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Jan 24, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #1,321 of 2,804
Totally agreed. Also DX240 big plus for me is bass section. Speed and impact are very good. IMO better than WM1A which I owned for a long time.
It is better than the WM1Z, which I really enjoy but better dynamics and soundstage.

Jan 25, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #1,322 of 2,804
Yes , iBasso did a great job again ! AMP8 MK2 just installed in DX240 and felt much improvement than stock AMP8 (not compare to blackgate AMP8) right away .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,328 of 2,804
I want to bring you some fun today, so I posted a full video review on DX240 from IBasso Audio!! If you've seen one of my videos before, you know it will have music, fun mood, and tons of info, and if you have never seen one before, you can give it a go

I hope you have fun out there, and that you keep enjoying the music

Jan 25, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,329 of 2,804
I want to bring you some fun today, so I posted a full video review on DX240 from IBasso Audio!! If you've seen one of my videos before, you know it will have music, fun mood, and tons of info, and if you have never seen one before, you can give it a go

Entertaining. :^)

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #1,330 of 2,804
So I hooked it up to a top audio system to see what sort of source it was both dig and line. Dig out is vg though the player still wasn’t as good as a Naim Core as player but still excellent. (A top 3k dedicated server/player) Tried the supplied cable 1st and it was good but once I switched to a Naim DC1 cable with 3.5 adapter, it really fell into place and became a great source and better than most dedicated home devices. This was unexpected when using an adapter and an extra 3 feet of cable but it worked really well.

Line out was OK, not great, but there's a catch. The 3.5mm headphone out sounded great as a line out. I suspect the line out has either a high output impedance or simply lacks enough current. This was playing into a 20k input impedance. Mid gain clearly the best here. Filter 5. Do not be fooled by worrying about double amping here and think of it as a buffer amp that often help systems perform better. It is still putting out less than 3v at full tilt in medium Gain.

This is a very revealing system that I don't personally own but know extremely well. All Naim, NAC S1 Pre, Nap 500 amp, ND 555 streamer as DAC and Uniti Core as server/player, all on Fraim. ProAc K6 signature speakers. The Dx240 did not sound out of place here though I could beat it when I optimized paths.

This thing is a little wonder. Remarkable performance. Good enough to hear what's going on and optimize to get your ducks in a row. If amp8 mk2 improves this thing, Holy #$@&!

Edit: This was on original FW but I highly doubt things will change when on Mango OS.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #1,331 of 2,804
So I hooked it up to a top audio system to see what sort of source it was both dig and line. Dig out is vg though the player still wasn’t as good as a Naim Core as player but still excellent. (A top 3k dedicated server/player) Tried the supplied cable 1st and it was good but once I switched to a Naim DC1 cable with 3.5 adapter, it really fell into place and became a great source and better than most dedicated home devices. This was unexpected when using an adapter and an extra 3 feet of cable but it worked really well.

Line out was OK, not great, but there's a catch. The 3.5mm headphone out sounded great as a line out. I suspect the line out has either a high output impedance or simply lacks enough current. This was playing into a 20k input impedance. Mid gain clearly the best here. Filter 5. Do not be fooled by worrying about double amping here and think of it as a buffer amp that often help systems perform better. It is still putting out less than 3v at full tilt in medium Gain.

This is a very revealing system that I don't personally own but know extremely well. All Naim, NAC S1 Pre, Nap 500 amp, ND 555 streamer as DAC and Uniti Core as server/player, all on Fraim. ProAc K6 signature speakers. The Dx240 did not sound out of place here though I could beat it when I optimized paths.

This thing is a little wonder. Remarkable performance. Good enough to hear what's going on and optimize to get your ducks in a row. If amp8 mk2 improves this thing, Holy #$@&!
Digital cables should always be at least 3 feet for good performance due to internal reflection of the digital stream from one end to the other. 3 or more feet tend to nullify this.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #1,332 of 2,804

Thanks for the reminder from the video that factory reset is necessary after the firmware update. After the update, I found Mango OS drained my battery pretty fast. I was panic since I got my player less than 48 hours.
Good review, keep it up man.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #1,333 of 2,804
Thanks for the reminder from the video that factory reset is necessary after the firmware update. After the update, I found Mango OS drained my battery pretty fast. I was panic since I got my player less than 48 hours.
Good review, keep it up man.

Always happy to help!

I wonder if it would have been more funny to post a disassembly panic reaction video to me thinking I killed it somehow :gs1000smile:

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #1,334 of 2,804
Digital cables should always be at least 3 feet for good performance due to internal reflection of the digital stream from one end to the other. 3 or more feet tend to nullify this.
I know the theory but haven't found that to be a hard rule. Reflections don't disappear and I have never preferred a dig cable that I like at over 1m. As they get longer they add capacitance and resistance and the squares become less square. Those reflections are only lower due to bandwidth limiting and/or resistance. They don't magically disappear. I've found Belden 1694 with BNC connectors better than most tweaky dig cables. There are a few like the DC1 that are clearly better. I'd also expect a solid pos conductor to be better but haven't found that to be the case. Don't know how you feel about (I know, magical :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) cable direction but more often than not, opposite the print seems better. Obviously not a rule. Might have to do with annealing and common construction practices.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,335 of 2,804
I know the theory but haven't found that to be a hard rule. Reflections don't disappear and I have never preferred a cable that I like at over 1m. As they get longer they add capacitance and resistance and the squares become less square. Those reflections are only lower due to bandwidth limiting and/or resistance. They don't magically disappear. I've found Belden 1694 with BNC connectors better than most tweaky dig cables. There are a few like the DC1 that are clearly better. I'd also expect a solid pos conductor to be better but haven't found that to be the case. Don't know how you feel about (I know, magical :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) cable direction but more often than not, opposite the print seems better. Obviously not a rule. Might have to do with annealing and common construction practices.
I have heard the directional influence but when I burned in the cable at the opposite direction, it became the same after a number of hours. And it depends upon the conductor. Dead soft silver, changing the easiest and my preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back