Dusty & KR will be Jealous
Nov 26, 2001 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
I found some cool gothic music that even Dusty does not yet own, these are both on order to arrive later this week:
This Ascension - Sever (Projekt Label)

Love Like Blood - Sword Lillies

I really like the recent CDs of the group Cemetary, which sounds like heavier/darker version of Mission UK, Dusty accidently gave me this tip when he recommended the group Crematory, now have three of their Cds!

Nov 26, 2001 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 11
I never heard of those groups or CDs before. So please feel free to posts your thoughts, and perhaps a review.

I am a bit scared of getting Goth music, since most of it sounds like bad 80's pop to me.

I have no idea how those two bands sound like, but I am always on the lookout for new stuff, so spill your guts
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 11
These are just good main stream gothic like Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Switchblade Symphony etc. (all clean vox) I will give more onfo on these and Cemetary soon........

Dusty may actually have the "sever" CD since he has a lot of
Projekt Label stuff, but I know I got the scoop on the "sword
lillies" CD, right?

Nov 27, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 11
I was a big Sisters of Mercy fan some years ago now. It was a real pain living in Australia as all those great bootlegs never really made it down here - and as they were all vinyl, postage from the UK was a real killer.

What's your fave Sisters moment Dark Angel? I think they were really at their peak in about 1983-84. The Reptile House is definately my pick - and from the bootlegs around that time, 83-84 is when I would have loved to see them live. I should see if I can track down a copy of the gig they did at the Paradiso in Amsterdam (28.08.83), it is supposedly legendary and is now available on CD!
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you ever get into The Nephilim?

Nov 27, 2001 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Mac
I really don't know how the band "love like blood" name was chosen, just discovered them recently by checking other CDs bought by people who like one of my favorite bands. Usually these are dead ends but I found samples of all tracks on this CD and I was hooked!

This is a "best of" CD, they have 4 previous Cds which I can't find anywhere.

Nov 27, 2001 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 11
Stymie
No question, best Sisters CD is "some girls wander by" which collects their fabulous EPs together on one CD with decent sound quality. When they were making these in early 1980s I lived in Chicago and purchased every EP as soon as released at Wax Trax
on Lincoln Ave (had Linn Sondeck LP12 turntable back then). My favorite single song has to be from Reptile House EP (purple on black), song is "valentine" what a heavy track that is (makes Black Sabbath "master of reality" seem lightwieght), defines everything gothic should be!

Most people who like Sisters also have CDs by Fields of Nephilim,
I tried their "revelations" best of CD and did not care for it, so it was sold. I find Nephilim to be somewhat bland sounding.

Nov 27, 2001 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I found some cool gothic music that even Dusty does not yet own...

WRONG! HAHAHA!!! :-D Quote:

Dusty may actually have the "sever" CD since he has a lot of Projekt Label stuff, but I know I got the scoop on the "sword lillies" CD, right?

(drat!)...yes, correct. :frowning2:

Not only am I already familiar with and own 2 of This Ascension's albums, I saw them live when they opened for Clan of Xymox a couple years ago. Excellent version of "Hollow Hills" by the way (haven't yet heard Faith & The Muse' version).

BTW, if you like This Ascension, you will love Sunshine Blind.

Hey, I've heard of Love Like Blood, does that count?

Nov 27, 2001 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

My favorite single song has to be from Reptile House EP (purple on black), song is "valentine" what a heavy track that is, defines everything gothic should be!

I agree! I love all the tracks from Reptile House - especially Kiss the Carpet, Burn and Valentine. If you get a chance, there is a fabulous bootleg of BBC sessions from the Reptile House era which are even more powerful than the versions offically released IMHO. The bootleg is called "The Shuttered Room" and it is a 2x7". The tracklisting is Heartland, Jolene, Valentine and Burn - the version of Burn is simply stunning!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2001 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 11
The Merciful Release artwork really added to the Sister's early mystique - I have a HUGE poster of The Reptile House (roughly 250 x 150 cm) - it is such a cool design
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back