Duke Ellington & Ray Brown This One's For Blanton
Jan 18, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

SR-71Panorama

Headphoneus Supremus
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Z_2310-721.jpg

Recently I've begun an ongoing project w/ another Headfi member, LFF. I am having him digitize my vinyl records for me. I had doubts in the past about the usefulness of this method of music archiving, but am now convinced that it can be every bit as effective and professional as commercially available CDs. Perhaps the biggest benefits of this are that you can find many LPs that are no longer available, or hard to find, on CD, and the tendency for vinyl albums to have better sound quality in the remastering process.

Despite the ever-evolving world of technology that studio engineers and mastering technicians have at their disposal, the blunt truth is that most modern mastering sucks. Plain and simple. Whether from inexperience with high end audiophile equipment, or pressure from labels to do so for 'radio sound', its become quite a problem for anyone that wishes to have an enjoyable listen.

Whats a helpless audiophile to do? Vinyl Rips or "Needle Drops" are one clear choice. This is the process of playing the vinyl record at normal listening speed, and converting the analog sound to digital, then splitting the album-long song into separate tracks where appropriate, and perhaps a little sparse tweeking here and there.

I've bought several albums for this sole purpose, even though I don't own a turn table. I simply want great sound.
Furthermore, there are some incredible opportunities in the vinyl world today. Head-fi famous audio god Steve Hoffman offers a wide gamut of his material, and unlike the gold cds that go for loads of cash on ebay, many are still available at their debut price, new.

This album is one of them. And what an album it is. Duke Ellington and Ray Brown. Piano and bass. It doesn't get much simpler than that! There is an unbelievable amount of space on this record. Every note has its own zip code; so much room to breathe. A very enjoyable listen.
I was only into the second track when I realized this could very well be the best sounding album (or CD) I own. I think its a new "desert island" disc for me.

Anyway, I wont gab too much here, I'll keep it short and simple; if you enjoy a little quality with your music, consider digitizing vinyl records, either yourself or through another member of Headfi. And if you are even the least bit into jazz, you owe it to yourself to pick up this release, preferably in vinyl, mastered by Steve Hoffman.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back