Dud or am I a duffus? HD650's catastrophic failure to impress...
Dec 12, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #16 of 23
FWIW I have very similar headphones in the Aeon Noire and HD600 and I enjoy the HD600 as much as the Noire.

Sure they don’t have the bass or the top end sparkle but their mid range focused sound really suits a lot of the music I listen to while working at my home office and to me they fill a requirement in my small collection very well.

In fact I might use them today, I have been on an IEM kick for some months.

I would suggest giving them a chance, more than 15 minutes. Set the others aside for a few days and if the HD650 doesn’t grow on you then get rid of them.

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #17 of 23
This.

It took me several months to warm up to the HD660S, which I also bought based on the 6-series hype. Now I finally do appreciate them for the signature they bring (ironically, it was another headphone that "sold" me on the 660 I already owned) and I rotate them into my sessions fairly regularly.

One other thought: are you sure the pads aren't worn? You said you bought them used?
They were in "like new" condition. Pads were not worn at all.

Dec 12, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #18 of 23
I had the HD6xx for 11 months and tried very hard to like them. Never did, though my complaints about them were entirely different from yours. I like warm toned headphones and the HD6xx just didn't scratch that itch for me. They were some of the most inoffensive, bland sounding headphones I've ever tried.

It became something of an internal joke, how long I could wear them without falling asleep. It was almost a Pavlovian response by the time I got rid of them.

So, no, the HD650/6xx isn't for everyone, and there's no need blaming yourself.

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #19 of 23
I think I'll have a go see at the Southwest Audio Fest in March in Dallas and try on every headphone I see and find a sound I like. Nothing like actual listening.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 23
Almost no high end or mid frequency compared to the Dan Clarks. A lot of bass and low mid frequency that presented itself as really muddy no matter what music I threw at them.
This sounds pretty accurate actually! In my experience, Dan Clark headphones have more top end clarity, separation/stage, and much better bass extension, thanks to their planar drivers. 650's take a lot of work to get near that level, but even then, they're just a different animal. I love mine, but I don't go to them for detail/liveliness. More for a reliable, comfortable, warm blanket of sound.

It sounds to me like you're looking for a different sound than the Sennheisers. I would take a look at some more planar options. If detail is what you're after, in general planars are where you'll find it. @msing539 suggested the Edition XS. I would give those a try.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #21 of 23
I've long wondered what all the phoneheads were raving about, being a large speaker fan for decades. So recently I had the opportunity to buy a used pair of Dan Clark Aeon RT Closed headphones just to peek into this dark corner. I must say, it wasn't like a whole new world, but it was a different experience that I found intriguing. The intimacy and detail got me a bit hooked. So, I thought I should try a pair of open backs as everyone seems to say they are even more transparent with a bit of a different sound stage. So, I purchased a like new pair of Sennheiser HD650's off Ebay and expected to hear a bit more sizzle and vibrancy in addition to a different presentation of the sound stage. I got them in today and was excited to try them out. They were incredibly different, but in every bad way I could imagine. Almost no high end or mid frequency compared to the Dan Clarks. A lot of bass and low mid frequency that presented itself as really muddy no matter what music I threw at them. I'm running both pair off a little Schiit Magni3 fed by a Modi3 dac. I couldn't believe how bad they sounded.

Did I get a bad pair or a pair with damaged drivers? My worst anticipation was that they would sound the same or marginally better. These exceeded my worst anticipation and I immediately reboxed them to return after about 15 minutes of torturous listening. I couldn't imagine ever using them again.

My experience has me perplexed considering how many good reviews the 650's get. Any ideas about what might be wrong? I'm pretty sure the little Schiit should be capable of driving them just fine. Thoughts and comments appreciated. You probably can't insult me in any meaningful way that I would find offensive, so fire away!
I agree with some of the others, I would recommend listening to them exclusively for a time so you can get used to the sound. Then see which of the two you prefer. I have the OG Aeon Flow Closed with Noire pads and found them to be a bit lean and bright despite the great bass extension and texture. As a result, they sounded very clear and detailed. But if I listen to the Sennheisers right after, which are slightly warm and darker, they sound muddy and bloated in comparison.

But in regular use, I like the Sennheisers more. The midrange quality and tone is extremely good, the treble smooth, and while the bass isn't slammy and missing rumble, it's quite clean and has decent texture to it.

If you end up going to the audio fest, see if they have a pair of Focal Clears! IMO, they're a good marriage of the sound qualities in the Dan Clarks and the Sennheisers.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #22 of 23
You should give a $20 headphone more than 15 minutes to see if you like it, much less an audiophile headphone.

Whether or not there is any science behind burn-in and if it's real or not, there is definitely something there in terms of either your ears and/or the headphone adjusting.

The other thing is that at the end of the day, coming from speakers may be tempering your experience. Speakers are a more "natural" way of listening to music/sound.

Music/sound naturally is around you, immersive. Headphones ultimately are an unnatural compromise because of how close they are to your head and how small the speaker/drivers are(before anyone calls me crazy, Tyll himself said this)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #23 of 23
If you were looking for the HD650s to impress you, you don't really get it. If you would rather listen to the music for hours on end and talk about the music instead, then you may begin to understand what the HD650s do. *

* Great amplification being a pre-requisite, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back