dual line out/phone jack vs. dedicated line out
Aug 10, 2001 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
hello all;

I have a sony MZ-R37 that has a dedicated line out for a headphone amp. Since I use a home deck (JA50ES) to record, I plan to pass the 37 on to my son to take to college with his TA/501 set up.

Most of the newer units I've read about (Not looked at-no stores stock them here to play with.), either don't have a line out, or a combined phone/line out. Is this a true line out? or does it matter?

And finally. do any of you know of a player that has a line out? My MZ-EP11 (which I love-what a tank) and MZE-75 don't.

And finally finally, I have a slight problem with the 37. When I start it, the unit beeps with a low battery reading, then stops. If I pop the top and slide the batteries out, then reseal, the unit works fine till the next time you start it after a shut off.

Thanks everyone.

Aug 11, 2001 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Most of the newer units I've read about (Not looked at-no stores stock them here to play with.), either don't have a line out, or a combined phone/line out. Is this a true line out? or does it matter?

There is a good deal of debate about this. There are actually three different kinds of "dual" jacks:

1) A single jack with two different output stages (a headphone opamp and a line-out output) that can be manually switched back and forth.
2) Impedance-sensing jacks that automatically switch to "line-out" mode when appropriate.
3) Headphone jacks that emulate a line-out at a certain volume.

#3 aren't really true line-outs in my opinion, since any EQ that is applied to the headphone jack will be applied to the line-out signal.

#1 are true line-outs, since a different output stage is being used.

#2 is the problematic area, since from everything I've read, you don't know whether the electronics behind your #2 are #1 or #3 (that is, when it automatically switches, is it switching to a true line-out, or is the volume simply switched to a level that approximates the output of a line-out signal?).

Most Sony units have #1 (you actually switch to line-out mode using a menu). Older Sharp units had #2 with the electronics of #1. However, I believe that most newer Sharp units have either #2 with the electronics of #3 or are simply #3 (the manual even tells you what volume to use and tells you to turn off all EQs).

Quote:

And finally. do any of you know of a player that has a line out? My MZ-EP11 (which I love-what a tank) and MZE-75 don't.

If you mean player-only units, there is only a single player that ever had line-out, and that was the Sony MZ-2P, from 1992
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2001 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 7
mackay maus, your battery problem might because of dirty contact points in the battery compartment. Try cleaning it with electronic contact cleaner or try isopropyl alcohol. Apply it with q-tips.

Aug 11, 2001 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 7
I just bought a Total Airhead and Headroom recommends using a line-out for the best sound (I think, I read that on their site...somewhere). My player is a Sony R900 minidisc which has a shared plug for line-out/headphone-out, which you choose between using a menu option. My question is: Has anyone noticed a sizable difference in the quality between the line-out or headphone-out modes on a similar unit? I don't seem to hear much of a different, although I've been doing A/B tests.(Using the TA and Sennheiser 600 phones). Frankly, me ears are starting to go from the testing. It's a bitch trying to match output levels. Does any use a similar unit who thinks the line-out is that much better? The reason I want to know is that you have to give up using your remote with the R900 if you use line-out, and the remote is a nice little gadget to work the unit with. Also, there's the peace of mind factor.... ("Am I getting the best possible sound?" I hate that factor.)

Aug 13, 2001 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies everyone. This site has been a great site for the technologically challanged like me.

Matthew

and spelling challenged to, it appears

Aug 13, 2001 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Of the current Sony models, the R700 and R500 do not have the the switchable (#1) line out option. They are #3-above. And they do not have a volume setting that will match a true line out. I have a R700 and R37 and the seperate line out of the R37 delivers significantly more output to a line (high-imp) input.

Aug 14, 2001 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 7
and grammar challenged too...

Thanks everyone. I've decided to pick up a couple of the 37s for the kids and keep mine. Cheaper than buying a new unit, and the 37 sounds good to my tired old ears.

I've been warned that the downside to buying your kids minidisc players is that your discs disappear faster than tupperware!

Again thanks for all your help.

Matthew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back