DT 990 Pro + O2
Mar 4, 2016 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TehGoat

New Head-Fier
So I just got my O2 amp today and to be honest I cant really tell a huge difference. I have the O2 plugged into my Asus Z170 Delux MoBo via 3.5 and it just barely gets louder than if I bypass the amp.  If I push the gain button in it gets a little better but not much. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 11
Check with device settings under "Playback devices" and make sure there are no enhancements that meddle with things and if right settings are made under "Levels", additionally try seeing under "Advanced" to see if you have the best format on and uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" to make sure nothing is conflicting with the volume control (usually in-game Voip does this).

And and if you have a driver utility or application that has other settings, you may want to take a look there, as well.

Just as a final precaution, since I sometimes do this, also check the volume control in the Volume Mixer, I usually take down when I'm listening for something in particular and forget to push them back up.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Ok, so I checked everything you said the enhancements are all off the levels are all up the format is 24 192000 and  "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" is unchecked. Still the same.

Maybe its just me, I watched a lot of reviews and read of lot of information before getting the headphones and the O2 and I guess I just thought it was going to make a bigger difference. At 2.5 gain I can turn the O2 up to 50% and its really not that loud I would say its at a comfortable level of listening but I remember watching a review and the guy said at 50% it should be maxing or really loud and even maybe recommended getting a smaller gain for 300 ohm headphones.

The problem now is that I was planning on getting the Odac but I'm worried if it's going to be worth it after the amp didn't really make a big difference.

On a side note my galaxy s4 and my tv drive these headphones np is that normal? All i heard before buying the DT 990 pro's is that you need an amp.

Thanks for the help.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 11
Then there really shouldn't be much of a problem driving them, to be honest.

Do you have any other pair of headphones you can test with and without the amp to see if the difference is noticeable?

Mar 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #8 of 11
Well I just discovered that if I plug my headphones into my front jack they get louder than if I plug them into my rear mobo jack. Front jack I can turn them up all the way and they're pretty loud almost uncomfortable, however if i plug them into the rear jack I can turn them up all the way and they're loud but not really near an uncomfortable.

Sorry got sidetracked lol

Edit: I actually cant try a different pair right now, I forgot my other headset is usb.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Are your computer volume levels at max? (both soundcard and media player)

Differences are subtle, you don't get an ODAC/O2 to make the whole thing louder, but to make it more refined, clearer and more transparent.
To be able to pick finer details more effortless.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 11
Yea everything is up. I don't want anyone to think I'm disappointed, the sound of these headphones is amazing but I'm new to all this and I think maybe I mislead myself by watching to many reviews and reading to many threads. I am however confused on why my front jack is louder than my rear mobo jack though I figured it would be vice versa.

Also I just have the O2 not the dac yet, I probably should have bought the combo but I started out just looking to get another $70 headset then I moved up to the 990's and a modmic then an amp now probably a dac. But now I'm wondering if I need a dac or is the one on my mobo fine.

Thanks again for the help

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 11
  Yea everything is up. I don't want anyone to think I'm disappointed, the sound of these headphones is amazing but I'm new to all this and I think maybe I mislead myself by watching to many reviews and reading to many threads. I am however confused on why my front jack is louder than my rear mobo jack though I figured it would be vice versa.

Also I just have the O2 not the dac yet, I probably should have bought the combo but I started out just looking to get another $70 headset then I moved up to the 990's and a modmic then an amp now probably a dac. But now I'm wondering if I need a dac or is the one on my mobo fine.

Thanks again for the help

Differences among DACs are subtle, if you are a purist listening to Chesky Records then the DAC might be a nice addition, for gaming, I don't think so. In that case save your cash and simply enjoy what you have that's already very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back