DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm with STX - horribly sound?
Jan 1, 2015 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
I've got today my new DT 990 pro 250ohm out of the store. couldn't resist, opened in my way home and listened to them through my iphone 4 even touh unamped and low volume. they were beautiful, brighty but beautiful. told myself that with my STX they would sound better.

Well, in terms of soundstage, analytical and details they are. amazing. but compared to a mere iphone 4 headphones out - there's almost no bass in most recordings, in where there is - the bass is very distorted and I must lower the volume for it to get better. also, the phones seems to sound a way more brighter now, in the harash way. I knew they suppose to sound bright, but they are even more brighter from my K701, and what's with the bass? I thought those are kind of basshead cans?

Could STX be a bad choice for them? thought it supposed to sound better when amped?
Or maybe they just need some burn-in? (I don't think that this is their problem, as if the bass distorted it implied a unamped well cans?)

Help.
(STX settings- extra high gain, hi-fi mode, 96Khz, no dolby or any EQ effect is on)

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 35
iphone/ipad headphone out has slight bass boost and rolled off treble i think, while STX is neutral sounding. STX has a good EQ though, so it's easy to tune the sound to your liking.
And yeah, I really don't get where these stories of Beyer "bass" come from. I tried DT770 250 ohm and it had less bass than an HD600 to my ears, and since DT990 have the exact same drivers, I can't imagine how that could be a "basshead" headphone.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 35
iphone/ipad headphone out has slight bass boost and rolled off treble i think, while STX is neutral sounding. STX has a good EQ though, so it's easy to tune the sound to your liking.
And yeah, I really don't get where these stories of Beyer "bass" come from. I tried DT770 250 ohm and it had less bass than an HD600 to my ears, and since DT990 have the exact same drivers, I can't imagine how that could be a "basshead" headphone.

Did you drive them with your V200?

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 35
Hi random question how do I post threads? I'm new to this site and i want to ask ppl about affordable bassy headphones, thanks in advance. I tried to follow the instructions in the faq section but i can't find the ''new thread'' thing.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 35
^ you have a "start a new thread" button here

And I can't really get an amp for them, they are for gaming and movies to use with dolby headphones. i'll lose those with the use of amp. also, I can swear that some people told here that their STX is amping those cans just great.

any ideas?

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 35
Extra high gain will be to much for 250ohms i would drop it back to high gain.

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 35
Tried. no change.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 35
Start new thread button? i can't find it, someone said it would be on the bottom left of the page but still the only thing i can see is unread posts, subscribed, search this thread and preferences.

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 35
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/threads/add/forumId/4
here

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #12 of 35
  I powered DT990's off my HT Omega Claro Halo which is similar to your STX. I had no problems with it nor my Samsung Galaxy S3. Weird.

how it is similiar?
Anyway i'm starting to feel that it sounds more balanced now, but maybe it's somthing psychological and has nothing to do with burn-in. anyway, they are still far ahead from "basshead". their bass is rather calm and controlled.

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 35

how it is similiar?
Anyway i'm starting to feel that it sounds more balanced now, but maybe it's somthing psychological and has nothing to do with burn-in. anyway, they are still far ahead from "basshead". their bass is rather calm and controlled.

well i just received mine today, coincidence eh?
my previous cans were HD 518. they are very easy to drive even from the PC. but last week i got my Fiio E18 Kulun DAC+AMP. what i found is they are way too bright. im pretty sure its about them having like only 1 hour run time :p

sound is loud enough but i can feel that these cans need some more powerful source to power them. that i m 100% sure of! because when E18 turned to 9 Max level and PC audio level also to 100 i literally cant listen for more than 2 seconds my 518s they are so loud they can easily bleed my ears. but these 990 Pros they are not uncomfortably loud. im finding where to start new thread caus i have some questions but i cant find the link :frowning2:

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 35
I gave you a link right for the thread start.
Anyway, volume isn't the problem- 30-40% is enough in regular volume recordings with STX on extra gain.
also you might be right, they start to get less bright. I don't know - maybe some more bass will come out eventually.

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 35
  I gave you a link right for the thread start.
Anyway, volume isn't the problem- 30-40% is enough in regular volume recordings with STX on extra gain.
also you might be right, they start to get less bright. I don't know - maybe some more bass will come out eventually.

by looking at your issue with the base, i have just now, switched my source to my PC audio. my motherboard is Asus Maximus VI Hero and processor is i7 4770K. 

the audio chip on this mobo is Realtek ALC1150 which is actually a very high end chipset for mobo audio.

the volume got **** low. like what i get at 3 level of my E18 with PC audio at 100. but the base is still like 5 times better than my 518s. 

honestly speaking i have never heard so CLEANER BASS on any headphones in my life and that includes HD 600!

BASS is like clear crisp and like some kinda high quality speaker system. im LITERALLY impressed by BASS of these headphones. my little issue just now is how to change the equalizer for all the PC using this Fiio E18. i just want to reduce 8khz frequency to may be 1 or 2 dec down to fap to these headphones. thats why im searching for making new thread.

u should find some more powerful source to power these. even my E18 is not powerful enough to power these Fully!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back