DT-770 vs HE-300
Dec 14, 2014 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JJJMan75

Head-Fier
Finally decided to make room in my budget for some new cans! I'm looking for headphones that have a flatter frequency response out of these two, but I'd also accept other recommendations in the same price range. The problem I've had with my other headphones is that certain frequencies in my songs turn out to be too loud when I listen to them on other devices.

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 7
  Finally decided to make room in my budget for some new cans! I'm looking for headphones that have a flatter frequency response out of these two, but I'd also accept other recommendations in the same price range. The problem I've had with my other headphones is that certain frequencies in my songs turn out to be too loud when I listen to them on other devices.

Hello mate, you should consider SoundMagic HP100/150. You could read about them here:
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com.ar/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html

Best Luck!

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 7

Since you listed cans of both types, you must be OK with either open or closed cans.

I'm guessing that you mean that you want your cans to play the audio spectrum at essentially the same volume and not have the can emphasize some frequency bands louder than others due to headphone design.  If that is correct, you certainly don't want the DT 770 with their deep "V" sound signature.

Without knowing what headphones you have or what devices you are comparing, we can make little sense of the sentence in your post: 

"The problem I've had with my other headphones is that certain frequencies in my songs turn out to be too loud when I listen to them on other devices."

Also the quality/lack thereof and compression used in the tracks you mention may be at least part of your issue.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 7
Okay, I was a bit vague in that first post:
-No preference on open or closed
-Current headphones: Sennheiser HD 218
-Audio export format: .wav

So my current headphones are awful for production, and I'm looking for something with a flat frequency response that can get the job done. The two sets I mentioned are in my price range and seem to be appealing. I didn't realize the DT 770 colored the sound, so those are out. That leaves the HE-300, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Okay, I was a bit vague in that first post:
-No preference on open or closed
-Current headphones: Sennheiser HD 218
-Audio export format: .wav

So my current headphones are awful for production, and I'm looking for something with a flat frequency response that can get the job done. The two sets I mentioned are in my price range and seem to be appealing. I didn't realize the DT 770 colored the sound, so those are out. That leaves the HE-300, but I'm still open to suggestions.

To help we need to know what equipment will be driving and feeding these cans.  Will you use an amp?

We know that you want something not far from neutral, but we need to know the range and what sound signature in that range you are seeking. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 7
I have a Fiio E11 portable amp that I could use to drive the headphones. As for sound signature, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'd prefer headphones that provide detailed high-end and good mids along with a nice, deep soundstage... But don't we all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back