Drooping SR series Grados
Sep 13, 2002 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
I have had my grados for like four months now and the posts the driver housing are attached to now move without much resistance in the plastic part of the headband. My SR60s did this quite often and as I used them as portables, having to adjust them each time was getting boring.
I think my SR325s, because of the weight of the enclosures suffer an increased effect. When I hang them up at night, by the next day the are often down to the stops.
I have to constantly re-adjust them every time I put them on. I have seen the pics of the HPs and thought: Damn! a stop screw!
I was going to post on drilling the plastic part where the metal posts go in and tapping the hole to fit a nylon set screw in there just to create enough friction that the metal posts don't move. It seemed drastic.
What I did was to remove the driver housings and put the correct number of small rubber o-rings on the posts. That way, when I put them on, all I have to do is push the drivers up to the stops and listen. Actually as I am posting this, perhaps a small amount of heat shrink might work on the metal post above the plastic part. That way the drivers don't slide all the way down.
Hope this helps some who have expirienced the Grado SR series droop.
md

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 7
This is a 'problem' I have basically learned to live with. I simply adjust each time I put them on.

But I just thought as I was writing this, the rubber caps atop the pins, perhaps part of those could be used to keep the pin from moving. You could slice off two small pieces and slide them down the metal pin.

I was thinking something along these lines:

-remove plastic black caps-
-slice two small 'rings' off each
-slide pins out of L and R plastic sections
-slide one plastic ring piece down each pin
-slide pins back into black L and R sections
-slide other rings down the pins
-place caps back in top of pins
-determine proper height adjustment setting and glue the rings
on the pins at the correct spots at top and bottom of L and R sections

I suppose in essence this is what you did. Using part of the black plastic cap ensures the correct size for the pins and you don't need to search around for something to use. And actually, if the adjustment prevents the pins from moving up and down, I suppose you really don't need the caps on the top, although the phones do look better with them on (less dangerous too!

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #3 of 7
another good suggestion.
for my head, I would have to just cut off the tops of the plastic things. There seems to be a quarter of an inch there for me to make up for.
I just thought of this: shrink wrap the appropriate size on the tops and bottoms of the metal pins, before the plastic part, hence they won't drop. DOH!
I realize this a minor difficulty with SR series Grados.
I thought about this for my Audio Technicas never needed adjustment.
md

Sep 13, 2002 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 7
I've got the 60's and they drive me crazy. The drooping, the spinning, argh... thankfully I don't use them portably...

Sep 13, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Isn't the solution to store them flat? I don't hang any of my phones - the DJ stylee phones just get thrown into a corner and the Grados are plonked flat onto a nearby flat surface.

I don't have such problems with either of my Grados despite having them for far longer than you - I don't really adjust the height of the earcups so they're both stay where they're set.

I was wondering how robust the friction holding feature was though, as I was doing my mini-review of the SR60 - I think you've answered my question.

Sep 14, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 7
I love my Grado SR-80 (the cans that got it all started -- thanks, millerdog!), but I deplore the build quality of the whole line. Even the Reference Series line isn't build so well. They also have the plastic-to-metal friction system of keeping the drivers in place.

That's why I bought a nice all-aluminum HP-2, complete with nice thumb screws to keep the drivers where I want them.

Woo hoo!

kerelybonto

Sep 14, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 7
I have the 125's and yes they droop. They also have a rattle on bass notes that bothers me. I am listening to my MDR-7506's right now with no rattle or adjusting. I was thinking of getting the RS1's but now I am leaning more towards the cd3000's. Grado's sound wonderful but they are very fragile. If I am going to sink more money in phones, I want them to hold up too. doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back