Driving Beyer DT880 250 Ohm
Jan 6, 2024 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Claypole

100+ Head-Fier
My Grado Sr125i are very old and I fancy something a bit different. I’ve been considering the Beyer DT880 Edition, 250 ohm version, but have been wondering just how hard they might be to drive. I know they aren’t particularly sensitive…

Would my Fiio BTR7 be enough to drive them properly, or would I really need a desktop amp?

The other option is the 32 ohm version, which are more expensive on Amazon £155, instead of £129. (The reason I’m quoting Amazon prices, is because Inhave Amazon vouchers to use). I have read that even the 32ohm version benefits from being amped…

I have read a lot online about differences between the different version of the DT880, but I would be very interested in hearing from those who have tried them with the BTR7…

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 9
I only have the 600ohm but think you would be surprised at the power needed. It is not that bad, these are not HE6s (for which I think the lone design goal was to be difficult to drive).

I would imagine that your BTR7 would be fine, but only one way to find out when it is for your own ears!

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 9
I've got the 250 ohm and stock the Apple USB to 3.5mm can make them sound good, but not party time loud or any headroom to equalize at all. The 32ohm has more pre/post ringing than the 250 and the 600ohm has 10 percent less, so 250 is the sweet spot.
To equalize with room for a preamp reduction you'll be really happy with a JDS Atom, Magni Heresy, or Topping l30 amount of power. I don't personally equalize, really good tuning out of the box.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #6 of 9
If you use the single-ended connector for BTR7, it won't be enough power. It would have to be through the balanced connector. 32 ohm version would be a better bet for the BTR7.
That what I was
thinking, but the DT800 has a fixed cable, so using the balanced output of the BTR7 isn’t an option. As for the 32 ohm version, I have read various opinions, and most of them are unfavourable.

I’ve come to the conclusion that if I get new headphones for strictly home use, then I’ll need a desktop amp.

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 9
That what I was
thinking, but the DT800 has a fixed cable, so using the balanced output of the BTR7 isn’t an option. As for the 32 ohm version, I have read various opinions, and most of them are unfavourable.

I’ve come to the conclusion that if I get new headphones for strictly home use, then I’ll need a desktop amp.
There are tutorials out there and YouTube videos where people recable their DT-880 for balanced input. It's something I'm considering but haven't gotten around to it yet.

FWIW, my HO200 drives the DT-880 600ohm effortlessly - even single-ended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back