Dolby Digital Plus Home Theater Configuration
Nov 3, 2014 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bear95

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Hm. Seems like since I'm a new member, I need an x number of posts/days to post in other subforums? Couldn't find any detail in guidelines heh.

Anyway, there has been a computer related problem that has been bugging me for the last week. I have an acer laptop that is supposed to come with dolby home theater software. A while I ago I noticed that there was dolby software that wasn't originally installed in my laptop. Since the software was included in the sound drivers download from the manufacurer's website should it not be installed? So by luck after a few tries uninstalling and installing the drivers and dolby software I could get it to sound great with my laptop!

But after having to reinstall windows I tried installing the same audio drivers and dolby software again but I can't seem to get it working right. When dolby is turned on, the sound seems "echoey, muffled, and tinny." I tried multiple combinations of installing the audio drivers, the dolby software, and restart but there seems to be some magic combination I'm not getting correct. I'm thinking that the dolby software is not recognizing/using/linking properly to the realtek drivers.

Anybody have any experience/solution?

Thank you,
L Y

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Hm. Seems like no one had any ideas about this. But figured out the solution myself. Saw a bunch of other threads here about Dolby sounding muffled or really poor quality and hopefully this helps.

When you uninstall the drivers to install the drivers provided by the manufacturer and the dolby software included in the drivers, you have to uninstall from device manager rather than from programs/features. What I think is happening is when you uninstall from programs/features the software prompts you to restart. When you restart, windows installs the default sound drivers. So when you try to install manufacturer sound drivers and then the dolby software, the dolby software somehow still "links" to the windows sound drivers previously installed which messes things up and makes things sounds bad. So make sure you uninstall from the device manager and make sure windows hasn't installed any default drivers and if it did uninstall it. And then proceed to install the manufacturer's drivers right away without restarting and restart only when/if it prompts you to. And then install the dolby software and it should sound fine.

Don't think many people are gonna read this but would've helped me a LOT. And funny how I figured this out drunk lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back