Dolby Digital Headphone Amps?
Aug 28, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Sounds like you need a receiver, it will do Dolby Digita, DTS, etc. Most people will tell you that the headphone amp in a receiver is not the greatest, in which case I would suggest putting an amp on the line out from the receiver to your headphones. Someone correct me if I am mistaken!

Aug 28, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 5
I believe the "dolby headphone" simulation occurs in the digital domain, which means a simple amp won't be able to do it (it will need ADC and DAC).

Other than home theater receivers, some Windows media players like foobar have plugins that create the dolby headphone effect, so you can try it with any amp. For foobar, look for "foo_dsp_dolbyhp.dll". Its fun for a minute or two and then it sucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its fun for a minute or two and then it sucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Dolby Headphone quite nicely simulates speaker listening with headphones. It doesnt color the sound spectrum too heavily. Despite for my previous statements though, some micro details do lost in the process sadly, but still it is very pleasant dsp to listen with. Something completely different than crossfeed.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Victor SU-DH1 is a portable DH processor with optical in. It decodes dolby digital or DTS and gives surround virtualisation via Dolby Headphone (DH1, DH2 and DH3 options). It will also do 2 channel analogue or PCM (either just as an amp or with 2 channel Dolby Headphone simulating stereo speakers). Upmixing from 2 channel to 5.1 by Dolby Prologic II can be turned on or off (I generally prefer off). There's a JVC version but you're better with the Victor as it can run with an AC adaptor whereas the JVC needs batteries.

It does well amping my 100 ohm Goldring NS1000s in passive mode. Better than my FiiO e5 or Juice 2214 CMOY.

Alternatively there's the Astro A40 Mixamp, which is more gaming oriented. It only does DH2 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back