Does UE ever discount their customs?
Dec 3, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the point UE has to lower prices, I'm sure they will make a new $1000 custom IEM. Their current one is $1000 partly because of the clientele they service. No (real and/or superficial) celebrity/rock star/etc. wants to be seen with headphones that cost only a few hundred.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't buy for a single second that celebrities and the like pay the retail price. That price is for the regular consumers.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand what you're saying, but I don't buy for a single second that celebrities and the like pay the retail price. That price is for the regular consumers.

Granted, they may pay more or less (depending on how warranty and promotion, etc. are perceived and handled), but perception is everything. If the advertised MSRP of a product is $1000 (and it stays there consistently for years as we've seen here, creating a perception, true or not, of value at that price point), that's what matters, not deals made behind closed doors.

Convince the average consumer that his favorite high-profile person uses X product, and that other high-profile people use that product as well, whether he likes those other high-profilers or not, and the average consumer is far more likely to buy that product.

This is why that watch company got in such a huff after Charlize Theron was seen wearing a watch that wasn't part of their $3 million promotional contract (e.g. wear our watches, we give you money, everybody wins). Visibility is everything in marketing.

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 27
True, I don't think anyone is saying the UE-10/11 sound like a $300 product, I just think some were wondering why the persistence at the $1000 range. I would imagine some of the persistence would be that as inflation goes up, driving the value of the dollar down, the value of the UE-10/11 doesn't go down enough to justify lowering the price at a lower return to the company per dollar.

Then again, it's not like any of us have access to UE's books, so...speculation is awesome!

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #22 of 27
have you heard all 3 of those customs? And I have to disagree on the c3's being close to the ue-11's but I have no clue about the others but people are not going to pay 3x the price for no upgrade sorry but that is the way head-fi is

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you heard all 3 of those customs? And I have to disagree on the c3's being close to the ue-11's but I have no clue about the others but people are not going to pay 3x the price for no upgrade sorry but that is the way head-fi is

I own all 4 (UE11, Sleek, C3 & FreQ).

Do you already have the UE11 or are you guessing?

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my UE customs for free.

How is that possible? Where you beta testing the customs?

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #27 of 27
They are priced this way for a couple of reasons. For one it is because they are targeted toward professionals. To them it's a business expense and often a necessity. The other reason is because they are custom made and there is a limit to how many of them they can churn out. It's not like a Westone 3 where they design a prototype and ship it off to be mass produced in China. So if they are near or at that capacity limit, then there is no reason to lower the price because that won't increase profits. If however, they were below the level that they could supply and they had wasted capacity then they would lower the price to increase demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back