Does this dap exist?
Jun 29, 2019 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mhog55

Headphoneus Supremus
If I wanted an upgrade in overall sound quality, but have no need or desire for anything other than glorious, wired listening, is there a dap better than my Opus#1s? I don't own any wireless cans, and all the music I want is readily available on my SD cards. I've looked at the ak70 mkii, but it utilizes similar dac chips, and I'm seeing more of a side grade than an upgrade. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on the Fiio M11, but I'd paying for a lot of stuff I simply won't use. I've also read that the Cowin Plenue D2 sounds great, but again I'm thinking side grade. I know there likely isn't a lot of demand for such a dap, just curious if one exists.

Jun 30, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 13
If I wanted an upgrade in overall sound quality, but have no need or desire for anything other than glorious, wired listening, is there a dap better than my Opus#1s? I don't own any wireless cans, and all the music I want is readily available on my SD cards. I've looked at the ak70 mkii, but it utilizes similar dac chips, and I'm seeing more of a side grade than an upgrade. I've been tempted to pull the trigger on the Fiio M11, but I'd paying for a lot of stuff I simply won't use. I've also read that the Cowin Plenue D2 sounds great, but again I'm thinking side grade. I know there likely isn't a lot of demand for such a dap, just curious if one exists.

What about the Dethonray DTR1? Seems to have good reviews, and is a purely sound machine, no other way other than wired listening.

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 13
What about the Dethonray DTR1? Seems to have good reviews, and is a purely sound machine, no other way other than wired listening.
Just browsing over it, I'd assume not. Older dac chip, no balanced circuit, and about half the power output of the Opus#1s.

Jul 1, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 13
Another one could be the QLS QA361, big power, AKM4495, balanced circuit - Albeit from 3.5mm out (adaptor is provided to 2.5mm), another pure wired device.

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Just browsing over it, I'd assume not. Older dac chip, no balanced circuit, and about half the power output of the Opus#1s.

Do do look beyond just the dac chip and paper spec sheet.
Also refer to the posters device profile to have a better view of the weight of their impressions.

There are many players that utilize flagship grade dac such as the AKM4497EQ yet sounding no better than a player driven by an aging Wolfson dac.
The implementation of the whole player is key to the final delivery of the sound.
For example. the Dethonray DTR1 Prelude is built on 2 separate power source, 1 for the software running the player and 1 for the audio hardware itself.
This design is only found in well built desktop set-up or the recently released Sony DMP-Z1 transportable player. Needless to say, the Z1 sounds sublime.

From your requirements, and having owned the Opus 1, heard the Opus 1s, the DTR1 is a significant step above both players sonically.
Go read up the impressions over at the Dethonray thread to find out more.

Jul 1, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 13
Do do look beyond just the dac chip and paper spec sheet.
Also refer to the posters device profile to have a better view of the weight of their impressions.

There are many players that utilize flagship grade dac such as the AKM4497EQ yet sounding no better than a player driven by an aging Wolfson dac.
The implementation of the whole player is key to the final delivery of the sound.
For example. the Dethonray DTR1 Prelude is built on 2 separate power source, 1 for the software running the player and 1 for the audio hardware itself.
This design is only found in well built desktop set-up or the recently released Sony DMP-Z1 transportable player. Needless to say, the Z1 sounds sublime.

From your requirements, and having owned the Opus 1, heard the Opus 1s, the DTR1 is a significant step above both players sonically.
Go read up the impressions over at the Dethonray thread to find out more.
Right on. I just wish it had a balanced option. I have a lot of money wrapped up in cables.

Jul 1, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 13
Jul 1, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 13

I will play the devils advocate if you like and suggest that you may down the road really appreciate the features the M11 can offer. The learning curves are quite modest, the features really useful and I can say as a 51 year old audio fan, both gear and music equally, if you have not considered a limited use of streaming in your life, this is a great time to think about it. I have been on good audio gear since the 1980s, had reel to reel, lots of turntables, then CD players, now onto computer audio. I will still stay to you, wireless audio is absolutely wonderful, and the beyond the fantastic high quality sound Bluetooth can provide, it is the discovering of new music and often through well curated collections if you like.

FiiO have been on a pretty significant roll over the last say three years, IMO, and they just seem to be getting better and better, and they learn as an organization. The current crop of products, imperfect, of course, are really pretty sophisticated, very well specified, engineered, built etc. I am a fan for certain as I began buying FiiO products back when the E11 was the hot thing and I have just been nothing but impressed with the M9 that I have on loan from FiiO, and the Q5 which I bought right after the loaner tour ended. It is absolutely evident that FiiO spends a great deal of intellectual and financial capital on research and development and that is a sign of confidence and respect for the customer as it is a commitment to get better and not all companies do it so that is a great thing.

If you can buy the M11 from a place with a decent return policy might be worth considering. Trust me, once you try the streaming (I prefer only streaming at home, not on the go) and other aspects of a DAP like the M11, or others of course from other companies, plenty of excellent DAPs around, you will realize that it really is a very good thing. Good luck, I'm sure however you go you will be pleased.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 13
I will play the devils advocate if you like and suggest that you may down the road really appreciate the features the M11 can offer. The learning curves are quite modest, the features really useful and I can say as a 51 year old audio fan, both gear and music equally, if you have not considered a limited use of streaming in your life, this is a great time to think about it. I have been on good audio gear since the 1980s, had reel to reel, lots of turntables, then CD players, now onto computer audio. I will still stay to you, wireless audio is absolutely wonderful, and the beyond the fantastic high quality sound Bluetooth can provide, it is the discovering of new music and often through well curated collections if you like.

FiiO have been on a pretty significant roll over the last say three years, IMO, and they just seem to be getting better and better, and they learn as an organization. The current crop of products, imperfect, of course, are really pretty sophisticated, very well specified, engineered, built etc. I am a fan for certain as I began buying FiiO products back when the E11 was the hot thing and I have just been nothing but impressed with the M9 that I have on loan from FiiO, and the Q5 which I bought right after the loaner tour ended. It is absolutely evident that FiiO spends a great deal of intellectual and financial capital on research and development and that is a sign of confidence and respect for the customer as it is a commitment to get better and not all companies do it so that is a great thing.

If you can buy the M11 from a place with a decent return policy might be worth considering. Trust me, once you try the streaming (I prefer only streaming at home, not on the go) and other aspects of a DAP like the M11, or others of course from other companies, plenty of excellent DAPs around, you will realize that it really is a very good thing. Good luck, I'm sure however you go you will be pleased.
I've contemplated, but as for streaming, I think I have 95% of what I want to listen to on my SD cards. I guess there is the off chance I may find something I've missed via streaming, but I'm very genre specific, and have been listening to this type of music since junior high. I don't own any Bluetooth cans. The last pair I had was pretty decent, but couldn't compete with my wired headphones. The other thing is that I also have a V40, which can do all these things. Plus it's pretty dang good sonically.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 13
I've contemplated, but as for streaming, I think I have 95% of what I want to listen to on my SD cards. I guess there is the off chance I may find something I've missed via streaming, but I'm very genre specific, and have been listening to this type of music since junior high. I don't own any Bluetooth cans. The last pair I had was pretty decent, but couldn't compete with my wired headphones. The other thing is that I also have a V40, which can do all these things. Plus it's pretty dang good sonically.
Gotcha, the V40 would be pretty darn solid, I have the G7 myself. My experience with Bluetooth is very favourable. Newer Bluetooth headphones are quite different beasts so depending on how long ago it was that you tried Bluetooth headphones, you may find things different. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back