Does it make sense to upgrade ?
Dec 11, 2023 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Etx1

100+ Head-Fier
After some advice from you knowledgeable people.
Have owned an Ibasso DX80 paired with B&W P7 wired for some years, listen mostly to rock music in Flac format via the sd cards and this is all done indoors so DAP is not to be used outdoors while travelling.
Have recently got the itch for an upgrade of the DAP, been reading reviews etc and have interest in two DAP's in particular, the FiiO M15S and the Hiby R6 Pro II.
As I said I would be mostly listening to music via the sd cards and no streaming services.
I am in no doubt that these two players are far superior to the DX80 but my question is, will I notice a huge improvement in sound quality ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks,

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 14
I would say no, not without a corresponding headphone upgrade

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 14
I see, which headphone upgrade ( not IEM) do you think would be suitable without breaking the bank ?

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 14
Might help to know your budget chap, this will poke the hive:wink:

One advantage you have is to take the dap and the P7s to shops to get an a/b demo.
Don't discount pro audio chains too.

Based on how i remember the P7s, you might like something like the Hifiman Sundara.
Beyerdynamic are often described as bright in the treble, though haven't heard any myself.

Hope you get more suggestions.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 14
I see, which headphone upgrade ( not IEM) do you think would be suitable without breaking the bank ?
I agree the headphone would be the best upgrade….but what is breaking the bank to you?

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 14
Well had the intention of upgrading the DAP not the headphones tbh, so are you guys saying stay with the DX80 and change the headphones or are you saying if I change the DAP I shall have to change the headphones ?
I probably can stretch to £500 for the headphones especially if I go for the cheaper player ie the Hiby R6 Pro.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 14
i would say it would be a better step to upgrade headphones and stick with your current DAP

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 14
Well had the intention of upgrading the DAP not the headphones tbh, so are you guys saying stay with the DX80 and change the headphones or are you saying if I change the DAP I shall have to change the headphones ?
I probably can stretch to £500 for the headphones especially if I go for the cheaper player ie the Hiby R6 Pro.
I think what they are saying, is that you will get a much more significant increase in sound quality by changing you headphones, instead of the DAP. And I agree :)
You can change the DAP without changing the headphones, but you shouldn't expect a large differences in sound quality.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #9 of 14
I see what you guys are saying, any headphones in the £500 price range one can recommend that I should try ?
Not keen on buying and returning, would rather go to the shops and try them there.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #10 of 14
I see what you guys are saying, any headphones in the £500 price range one can recommend that I should try ?
Not keen on buying and returning, would rather go to the shops and try them there.
Going to shops and listening is definitely the best way to do it, if you have that option.
What sound profile do you like? What would you like to change with the sound you already got?
There are a few ways to go, so having an idea of you preference makes it easier to recommend something that could be interesting to you.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the advice and recommendations, I like bass and treble however do not like anything that sounds unnatural or over the top.
If I have the EQ turned on it is a V setting.
Can always go to some local shops and try some however if I choose some that sound right with the DX80 there is a good chance that if I do change the DAP ( which I probably will as have the itch now) they might not match the new DAP, so I think my best bet is to get the player first and go from there.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 14
If I were in your shoes, I would get the headphone first and then match the amp/dap to best power it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back