Does it make sense to buy a Receiver?
Jul 9, 2001 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Like any piece of equipment, there are receivers w/ exceptional audio quality, but the average amp will definitely beat the average receiver in the same price range. I take it your purpose is to keep the number of different pieces of equipment to a minimum. I don't see a better way of doing that right off-hand. Just be aware you will definitely sacrifice sound quality for convenience. And only two speakers is not a problem. You'd just hook them up and setup the receiver to only output 2-channel stereo sound.

Jul 10, 2001 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 7
I think that good stereo amplifier + standalone DAC will beat ANY receiver of the same price. I don't think there are any exceptions. It's just trading convenience (a little) for a LOT of sound quality. The choise is yours.

Jul 11, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 7
When I was shopping around for my amp, I listened to several receivers in the same price range (400-500), and eventually decided on the amp.

I compared a Marantz SR5000 (I think that's the model) to a Rotel RA-972 (integrated amp) and a Marantz PM7000 (integrated amp). The difference was amazing. The amps sounded much more neutral, but a the same time musical (does that make sense?)... Anyway, I ended up with the Rotel, and am very happy. Try to audition some and see what you like...

Jul 11, 2001 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 7
you can't really get standalone DACs (especially 6-channel) and amplifiers for under $500, which is probably the main market for recievers...

Jul 11, 2001 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

you can't really get standalone DACs (especially 6-channel) and amplifiers for under $500, which is probably the main market for recievers...

Not 6-channel, but you can get some VERY good integrated amps for around $300 (better than any receiver at that price) along with some pretty good 2-channel DACs for $200-$300, and Dick said he only wants it for 2-channel sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back