Does everyone have Impulse response data for Sony MDR-7506?
Oct 23, 2014 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

p13rrot

New Head-Fier
TL;DR begins here

Recently, I happened on a couple of articles about equalisation, digital room correction, and similar topics.
The general gist that I seem to be getting from the various info out there is that:

1. "correction systems produce substantial improvements in the time domain and frequency domain response of the sound reproduction system" (wikipedia)

2. unless you are sitting just-so at the exact listening position of the room, if you are listening to loudspeakers, the benefits this correction offers are limited.

Then it struck me -- with headphones (at least closed-back ones), as opposed to loudspeakers, there is no "room";  the listening position in relation to the sound source always remains pretty much the same -- most likely, you are putting your headphones on the same way when you listen to them.  There is also less stuff to interact with the sound; there's your ear,  the headphone, the driver, the earpad, and your skull, and that's pretty much it (and, for a given person and headphone, it is unlikely for any of these to change).

So, essentially, my impression is that the accuracy of the sound reproduced by any headphone can be expected to improve by a significant amount after applying impulse response correction. (Please correct me if I'm wrong or tell me if I'm getting needlessly excited about this.)

TL;DR ends here

Finally, getting to the point, I'm eager to try out using an FIR filter to correct for headphone response. (I listen through Sony MDR-7506)

However, this required an impulse response file for these headphones.
I do not have this file, nor do I have the means of measuring and producing it.

Does anyone have an impulse response file for the Sony MDR-7506 headphones?

(visionary
wink.gif
idea:  perhaps there should be a sticky thread where those who are able, post the measured impulse response for headphones they own, so the whole community may benefit by the fruit of their labors?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back