Does CD backup/duplicating degrade audio quality?
Oct 29, 2004 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

idkfa

Head-Fier
Hi to all.

I really want to know if duplicating or backuping an audio cd causes any inferiority/loss in audio quality between the original and the backup copy?

Does the audio source stay the same?

CD>WMA>CD=2nd generation right?

CD>CD=? Original quality?

One more question. When duplicating audio cds, does the quality of the CD-R used, matter with reference to the "audio qualitiy"?

Best rgds,

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 6
With CD -> CD you are copying the bits verbatim.

With WMA -> CD, if it's lossless WMA the bits are also the same. If it's lossy like MP3, then I wouldn't even call it 2nd generation as the data is different.

Does a copy sound better or not depends on the jitter you encoded on the disc and the readability.

Different media may read better in different CD players so media does matter. There are better media than others. Readability matters with cd players. If they can't read something as well, they error correct and you won't be getting what's on the CD purely.

Jitter matters since redbook is sensitive to that. If the jitter you record to the disc is better than the original, it's possible to sound better than the original CD. If worst, it'll sound worst.

--lan

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 6
ditto what lan said. as a test we ripped my original copy of Substance using his CD burner that burns the tracks wider or something, whatever it does it makes the reader less prone to errors, and thus error correction. sad, but the ripped CD sounds better than the original gold CD
confused.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks so much for the prompt reply!

So in other words, I need to get:

1. A good CD-R disc
2. A good writing program
3. CD burner(significant?)

No problem with no.1 cos I can always get the better multi layered cd-Rs.

But what is a good program to write and copy? Those that I have used and am using now are the likes of Nero burner, Jetaudio and CD Clone, etc.
They just give me the CD COPY or DUPLICATE options. I thought that was it. Just click and copy. So, actually there are programs out there that give you more controls.

The "better" programs out there that lets you write "wider" like what JAHN said or maybe "better" jitter corrections, could you recommend please?

Best rgds,

Oct 29, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 6
The writing program doesn't matter. I use Nero.

I use Taiyo Yuden manufactured blank media. I havn't read up if there are other great media out there now though.

>>>>The "better" programs out there that lets you write "wider" like what JAHN said or maybe "better" jitter corrections, could you recommend please?

No that's a matter of the hardware and not the program. I use a yamaha CD burner which hasn't been made for years and yamaha doesn't make cd burners anymore. What he mentioned is only for that burner. I'm talking in general about how results could be worst, same, or better. There are so many combinations of computers, burners, and media that results may not necessarily be reproducable.

--Lan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back