Does anyone own and iPod and an older PCDP?
Jan 28, 2003 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Watchdog

500+ Head-Fier
I've been reading about the lousy headphone output of recent PCDP's. I recall someone saying that most newer PCDP's only have an output of 3 mW per channel.

As a result many are buying older PCDP's that had better headphone outs. I don't recall the exact models, but I'm sure most hard core head-fi'ers know which models they are.

The iPod has 30 mW per channel and is generally considered fairly good sounding without an amp. My question then is has anyone compared the iPod headphone out to one of these older PCDP's that are prized among veteran head-fi'ers?

I'd like to know what people think.

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 3
I would say the Ipod stands up quite well to the likes of the D-11, D-12 and other similiar PCDP of that era. It is not as good as the D-303 headphone out, but that is obvious. The D-303 has that warmth even soundstage which Nothing gets close to. I can't recall the sound differences between the other PCDP's, but I know they were about equal in pro's/con's. Anything with a Meta beats the Ipod.

Jan 28, 2003 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
I've been reading about the lousy headphone output of recent PCDP's. I recall someone saying that most newer PCDP's only have an output of 3 mW per channel.

As a result many are buying older PCDP's that had better headphone outs. I don't recall the exact models, but I'm sure most hard core head-fi'ers know which models they are.

The iPod has 30 mW per channel and is generally considered fairly good sounding without an amp. My question then is has anyone compared the iPod headphone out to one of these older PCDP's that are prized among veteran head-fi'ers?

I'd like to know what people think.

I have a new gen 10GB iPod + Sony D-33 (1991) and a Sony D-25s (1992)

The Sony PCDPs headphone jack is a better than the iPods. No question there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back