Does anyone know how to become a headphone engineer?
Oct 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ace16

New Head-Fier
I've researched this topic online, and have come up with absolutely nothing. I also have talked with my counselor on this topic, and she could not come up with anything either. Right now I am a freshmen in college and am majoring in business management. I'm not really sure if that is the right career path for me. Audio is something that has always been their for me and I am definitely interested headphones. I feel like this career path could actually be a realistic job for me in the future. If anybody has any advise, it would be great to hear. Thanks 

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 13
Exactly what do you mean by a "headphone engineer"...  for example, would you mind listing some of the job functions you imagine you'd be doing?

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 13
MechE would probably be your best bet, if you're serious about transducer and chamber design...

however, you can do great as a "headphone engineer" with a business degree, even if you know literally nothing about headphones - see Grado Labs

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 13
yep, finish your business degree first, then go for mechanical engineering afterwards.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
yep, finish your business degree first, then go for mechanical engineering afterwards.

Quote:
MechE would probably be your best bet, if you're serious about transducer and chamber design...

however, you can do great as a "headphone engineer" with a business degree, even if you know literally nothing about headphones - see Grado Labs

Do you guys know if their is a specific major for headphone engineering, and thanks i really appreciate the feedback.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
More of the mechanics and designing the drivers of the headphones rather then the design, thanks 

Okay then, I'd say that your best best is probably mechanical engineering with a strong physics background (esp. for acoustics and E&M stuff).  I'd suggest going for mechanical engineering and then getting an MBA on top of that just for the heck of it.

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 13
The best way to find out what to major in is to contact a few headphone manufacturers and ask if you can speak to knowledgeable people, like supervisors or engineers. They should be able to tell you how to become a headphone engineer. A "headphone engineer" can be considered an audio/sound engineer, so you may want to research that career. Good luck.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
The best way to find out what to major in is to contact a few headphone manufacturers and ask if you can speak to knowledgeable people, like supervisors or engineers. They should be able to tell you how to become a headphone engineer? A "headphone engineer" can be considered an audio/sound engineer, so you may want to research that career. Good luck.

thank you

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #11 of 13
You can study the Physics Of Sound (http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Physics/Main/Physics_of_sound.html).

Perhaps you can study here http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/research/centres/isvr.page

Lots of Math.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back