Does anyone here like Jim O'Rourke, Thrill Jockey etc.?
Nov 7, 2001 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
I was just wondering who out there was into any of the "hipster" music being produced recently in Chicago. Particularly from people like Jim O'Rourke, Sam Prekop, Archer Prewitt, John McEntire...I personally feel these buggers, along with some other bands (radiohead, portishead and other things with heads come to mind) are making some of the best music of the last ten years.
Jim O'Rourke's Bad Timing Tortoise's TNT and Sam Prekop's self-titled album are classics in the making in my book.
I only mention this because I have not seen anyone else who talked about these guys, and maybe people would like to check them out. Ask your favorite hipster, or turn on a college radio station, and have a listen. You might just grow a goatee and start snapping your fingers, muttering cool daddy-o.
Hell yeah,
Stu

Nov 7, 2001 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 9
Yep! I am practically addicted to Thrill Jockey music. I think Tortoise is one of the best bands in the world, their latest album was somewhat disappointing tho. Other TJ stuff I like: Isotope 217, Mouse On Mars, Microstoria, Nobukazu Takemura and of course Jim O'Rourke.

Nov 8, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 9

Nov 8, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 9
Yup, Tortoise is a recent discovery. Been getting into that whole melodic indie sound lately -- Album Leaf, Tristeza, Friends of Dean Martinez -- all very good stuff.

PS wab -- I love Mouse on Mars. They are minor deities in my books. If I had ultimate freedom in making music, that would be the ultimate goal at which to strive. My tastes seem to be diverging into two categories, lately: popular (Britney Spears, Jam & Lewis stuff, Babyface stuff, Pink, et al), and experimental (Pan Sonic, Mick Harris/Lull/Scorn, Bill Laswell, et al). To me, they blend those two aspects perfectly.

I think there are others (stymie miasma? KR...?).

Nov 8, 2001 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 9
After downloading a bunch mp3s of Tortoise, Sea and Cake, etc., I cant wait to get the CDs. Good stuff!

Nov 8, 2001 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 9
This is what I like about these boards. You get people with different styles who appreciate different things about any given piece of music. I can read wab and dustychalk's comments and have new ideas about what to listen to next. Case in point, Mouse on Mars. I have heard of them, but I have not heard them. That will change as soon as possible. One band I would suggest that I doubt that anyone here has heard (unless they are from the Atlanta area) is Japancakes. They are really fun, instrumental, with a mix of electronica, orchestral, ambient and steel guitar (gives it a little country feel sometimes). Their debut, If I Could See Dallas is an excellent listen.

jaghouse -- I am glad you are one of the millions proving the RIAA wrong by downloading mp3s and then going out to buy the CDs as well. I am a huge fan of mp3 (though I don't really use them....bandwith problems), but I am also a big advocate of supporting artists you like. If you are into the music, you should not steal it. But by all means, share it and let people know about it. Then they can get interested and go out and get if for themselves.

wab -- I agree, Standards was not nearly the album TNT was, but I still think it was light years better than most stuff. Takemura's Scope is rather amazing, as is the Unstable Molecule. I love the remix they do of Jetty (titled La jetee). The Sea and Cake are also magnificent. Personally for instrumental guitar work, I don't think you can get much better than Jim O'Rourke...my god is he good.

Nov 8, 2001 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 9
Just to qualify -- Mouse on Mars are probably closer to the experimental side of things than they are that pop/schlock that is being discussed on the other threads. They're still very accessible.

Hey, I have an extra copy of Vulvaland, their first album, and still considered by many to be their best (although not AMG), if anyone wants to discuss trading, PM me. (Not a CD-R, the real thing.)

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 9
DustyChalk: MoM is indeed amazing. My favourite is Autoditacker, probably because it was my introduction to MoM. Their live-show is supposed to be very nice too.

BTW. Any of you read The Wire Magazine? This month's issue has a big article/interview with Jim O'Rourke.

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Yes, indeed, I've seen live a couple times -- they're great fun.

Yes, read the Wire, though not religiously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back