Does Adapter cable quality matter?
May 13, 2024 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LowBeat91

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking for an Lightning to USC C adapter cable for an dongle Dac. I found a few ones in different price categories up to 80$. From generic, to copper and also silver ones. But do you really need it for a adapter cable? What does a good cable must have in your opinion and could you recommend one?

May 13, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 8
Im looking for an Lightning to USC C adapter cable for an dongle Dac. I found a few ones in different price categories up to 80$. From generic, to copper and also silver ones. But do you really need it for a adapter cable? What does a good cable must have in your opinion and could you recommend one?
For these cables, definitely not worth worrying about the higher-end conductors. Much more important that you find one that works and lasts (which is shockingly rare). If you're skipping Apple's camera adapter, then you need to find an adapter categorized as "OTG" (stands for "on the go"). But not all OTG cables are created equal.

I've gone through dozens of these cables and very few have lasted longer than a few weeks. None longer than a year. Like Apple's camera adapter, most are cheaply made and overpriced. Everyone seems to have their preferred brand and model of these cables, but ultimately it's mostly down to luck. Some hold together, while others don't. I had one cheap adapter cable (under $20) that lasted a full year, but every other cable I tried died quickly or didn't work out of the box. To be fair, I use them daily for a walking commute, so they need to be fairly robust for my use case.

Other than that miraculous cheap cable, the only other adapter I've had that lasted long has been my current adapter cable: ddHiFi MFi09s. It's on the pricier side, though ($65). But I've had it now for six months without issue.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 8
If you're skipping Apple's camera adapter, then you need to find an adapter categorized as "OTG" (stands for "on the go"). But not all OTG cables are created equal.

I've gone through dozens of these cables and very few have lasted longer than a few weeks. None longer than a year. Like Apple's camera adapter, most are cheaply made and overpriced. Everyone seems to have their preferred brand and model of these cables, but ultimately it's mostly down to luck. Some hold together, while others don't. I had one cheap adapter cable (under $20) that lasted a full year, but every other cable I tried died quickly or didn't work out of the box. To be fair, I use them daily for a walking commute, so they need to be fairly robust for my use case.

Other than that miraculous cheap cable, the only other adapter I've had that lasted long has been my current adapter cable: ddHiFi MFi09s. It's on the pricier side, though ($65). But I've had it now for six months without issue.
Thank you it's very bad to see how cheap made and expensive in the same time they are. One year is nothing. It's not even like shoes that your wearing every day. Man it's so frustrating. Also the OTG stuff that Apple has to allow them to function. Do you find difference in terms of sound quality with different cables or do they all sound the same?

May 13, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 8
Thank you it's very bad to see how cheap made and expensive in the same time they are. One year is nothing. It's not even like shoes that your wearing every day. Man it's so frustrating. Also the OTG stuff that Apple has to allow them to function. Do you find difference in terms of sound quality with different cables or do they all sound the same?
Honestly, these adapter cables are so fragile and finicky, I'd concentrate on finding one that works. I'd only start worrying about the sound quality of an adapter cable if I was using it with a very high-end dongle or in a desktop setup.

May 13, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 8
I currently use OEOTG Digital Cable for roughly 40$ with my ipad to dongle. works really well the past few months, it's quite strong and won't break..

May 13, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 8
ddHiFi is a legit brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back