Do you prefer to listen to entire albums or random tracks?

Entire Album or Random Tracks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 14, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #31 of 38
Random tracks. Few albums have what it takes to keep me listening. Variety is the spice of life they say.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #33 of 38
I agree that the random lists at streaming services certainly help you to branch out a bit with your musical taste. I do think that after a few months of listening though that the algorithms reach a point where they have outlived their intent. It begins to become somewhat circular in the recommendations are offered.

Since I have been into head-fi I have found that most new to me music I have discovered has come from the Rolling Stone top 500 albums of all time list. I have been working my way through those albums and have listened to a ton of stuff that I would have never found in any algorithm on Spotify. I listen to a ton of heavy metal, hard rock and the like so things like Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, Steve Earl and multiple others would likely never show on my random lists. Obviously no one will agree with any top XXX list of albums because some of your own personal favorites are inevitably left off, but I have found this particular list to be quite good.

I’m an album listener through and through. Especially when it comes to my favorite bands, Radiohead and Tool. I was subscribed to Rolling Stone Magazine from about 2005-2012 and it had a profound influence on me musically and even politically. Matt Taibbi is one of the greatest political journalists of our time, and his writings and opinions shaped me for years.

I’ve got the entire Rolling Stone magazine 500 greatest songs of all time in FLAC and its a fantastic collection to have.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #35 of 38
I am 55 and grew up listening to album FM rock mostly, as well as a station that played full sides of classical/opera stuff. Not sure, but I don't think that happens much these days. When I was little, before I could get a little Yamaha receiver and a Philips turntable, a decent cassette deck, and some nice Advent speakers set up in my room, I would lie down on my back next to my humble radio, close my eyes, and just listen to whatever full album they were playing that night. I would pretend that I was there, in the studio, or in the concert hall. Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Eagles. Or, on the classical station, Verdi's Requiem or maybe Beethoven's 9th. Whatever it was, it was almost always something good. It was really magical and I truly believe that those early years alone on the carpet, dreaming, with my little AM/FM SONY with the wood vinyl exterior next to my head--those are what got me started on my audiophile journey.

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #36 of 38
Earlier I liked random track, but now I prefer full albums

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #37 of 38
I think with me the format is what makes the difference. If I'm sitting at the computer all I will play is random tracks. But if I'm listening to vinyl or a cassette tape, I will play the entire album. Or at least most of it. That's something I've just started to get into over the past few months, and honestly it's enjoyable to sit and listen to an entire presentation versus one or two tracks.

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #38 of 38
Hmm a bit of a mixture for me. Mix playlist while I work. Complete albums in the evening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back