Do you own a high end speakers set and still find yourself returning to cans?
Jun 26, 2020 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

matti621

Head-Fier
What draws you back to HP's? As anyone who owns both knows it's impossible to reproduce with cans what a set of full range can.
In my case it's not being able to listen to loud music just in the time I most desire it which is late in the evening - without loudness it never sounds great. Some say it's the intimacy of cans, but isn't it really the same?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 10
What draws you back to HP's? As anyone who owns both knows it's impossible to reproduce with cans what a set of full range can.
In my case it's not being able to listen to loud music just in the time I most desire it which is late in the evening - without loudness it never sounds great. Some say it's the intimacy of cans, but isn't it really the same?
The only time I can listen to my 2-channel system without disturbing anyone else in the household is when they aren't home...which due to the pandemic means almost never.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 10
As much as I love headphones, I’m a speaker person so I prefer speakers. Fortunately the house where I’m at is in the woods so I can play speakers loud.

I’m not married and have no kids so I can play my speakers anytime 24/7. For late night, I usually use my secondary speaker rig which is a set of bookshelf speakers in my bedroom. I don’t play it at a loud volume because the medium volume level is actually plenty good for my room treated acoustics. The room treatment makes a difference where a lower volume makes a good impact.

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 10
I have a pair of entry level klipsch floor standing speakers on my home theater and that was my passion for a number of years. Have it done out in surround with two sub's and it sounds beautiful. But my habit's have lead me to be on my PC more than anything and I barely even watch TV or streaming of any sort in my living room. Rather it's all gaming and streaming in an office chair. So that means I'm using my headphones with a mod mic the vast majority of the time. I'd say that over the last year or two most of the time I've had listening sessions was on my HT setup because I have a blind friend and the best thing we can do to hang out is blast some music on the stereo. I love nothing more than shaking the wall's with my 12" slp and 10" sq sub's going at the same time and explaining to him how to hear the two separately. Thrown in there we have had a couple headphone sessions where we're both on can's but I never had that setup fleshed out properly.

Anyways to my point, when on headphones I'm more likely to do mundane tasks than sit back, relax and enjoy some music. With the stereo that's kind of what I'm sitting there for is music without the distractions. I'm looking to get some music sessions in here in the future though as I've got some new audio gear coming over the next month and it won't have a mic attached to it so I'm more focused on listening than interacting.

*edit: I too have no wife or kids so I'm not tethered to headphones

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 10
i have a pair of spendor sp2/2 powered by a quad 77 integrated and enjoy them especially for loud electric blues and rock but i still prefer my hd650 powered by musical fidelity x-cans3 (modified) for most types of music (they give a more intimate approach to the music)

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #6 of 10
I have 2 pair of world class speakers & turn to cans every evening at 11pm(if I'm up)as I live in an apartment with an infant on 1 side & a miserable spinster feminazi on the other...It took 2 years for her to finally give up complaining about the noise level during the day though hahahahaa...

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    776.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0007.JPG
    DSC_0007.JPG
    717.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 10
In a previous post I said that I prefer speakers.

Well, I just got done listening to headphones and I gotta admit, it was so refreshing! Loved it,

It’s probably best to alternate back and forth to keep things fresh and exciting

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 10
I prefer speakers for soundstage and dynamic impact, loud lower end notes move air and that’s felt by the body as well as heard by the ears,
but I do do a lot of headphone listening and enjoy the clarity and resolution, headphones do a great job when you consider just about all music is mastered with speaker replay in mind, pity we can’t get music versions of the quality of the old dummy head recordings by Stax ... when I bought my Lambda pro’s years ago the sales guy threw in the Stax double CD .. and it’s amazing ...

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 10
So I haven't listened to headphones for more than a year.

I was blown away! The crazy thing is that I was listening on a mid fi budget amp with budget DAC via Tidal.

It's crazy how if you stop listening to headphones for a long time, it sounds shockingly good when you return even if its on mid fi gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back