Do the Sennheiser HD800s pair well with a Modius DAC and Lyr Amp from Schitt Audio? What about with the smaller siblings, the Modi DAC and Vali 3 Amp?
Apr 3, 2024 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

TyTB

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have been having a hard time discerning what the general consensus is about pairing the Sennheiser HD800s with Schiit Audio equipment.

Specifically, I'm looking at buying a Modius DAC and a Lyr Amp, in part because I think it will be neat to experiment with tube sound for the first time in my life, and in part because I love how tube amps look (stupid reason, I know). I also love that the Lyr amp CAN be solid-state, for when I want transparent amplification.

However, all my knowledge of Schitt equipment is out of date, because the last time I really dove into it was years ago, and all those products are discontinued.

I'm wondering what, if any benefits I will see by using a Modius DAC and Lyr Amp, over using the smaller, cheaper siblings, the Modi DAC and Vali 3 Amp. I know the Vali 3 Can't run in a solid-state mode, but beyond that, are there differences that I'll actually hear?

Lastly, there's the question of why the Modius + Lyr combo comes in at about $850+, meanwhile I can get a balanced AND multibit DAC/AMP all-in-one for only $599 as the Jotunheim. The Jotunheim seems like it's objectively-better in every way, so why would anyone buy the Modius + Lyr Combo? Is it JUST for the tube? Is it really worth it to give up balanced output, multibit dac ability, AND another $250 just to get a tube?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 4
I've had several pairs (see profile picture) and they aren't that picky to drive. The people going on for days about amplifiers for them are picky, and blaming the headphones. I've had them on everything from a Soundblaster AE-9 to a budget SMSL C200 and stacks I put together last month with a Topping A70Pro/D70Pro Octo and my trusty SMSL SP400/M400 stack. They sound great, all you need is to be able to handle the voltage swings because despite being rated 300ohm, they go up a little over 500-511 in the bass region. The extra current from balanced helps, but isn't mandatory. Flac is a must, balanced helps of course, a DAC that has 116+ SINAD and you're covered with no audible distortion from that. Go for a low noise floor like the Topping L50/E50 and optical if you have noisy USB ports and you'll be amazed how great they sound without melting down a credit card.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 4
The best current amp in the SS Schiit stable for the 800 S would be the Rag 2, but that's probably out of your price range. The next best is the Jot (balanced). The MB DAC it come with isn't that great - but its pretty good for the price. I have not heard the new Lyr with the 800 S, so it could be the best choice, not sure on that.

Based on my experience OTL amps are the winners for the 800 and 800S. The BHCs, BHC, XDUOO T-26, and the (Feliks Echo 2 (half hour at a meet was more than enough to qualify the Echo 2 as a superb driver for my Senn 600 and another persons 800 S). They all out pace all the SS amps I have run often with the 800's. The closest is the Violectric V-281, which is quite good, then the Bryston BHA-1, then the Rag 1. All much more expensive then the first 3 tubes i listed, and more than the Echo 2.

I submit the Senn 600 & 800 were developed on tube amps, because they don't blossom on most SS amps unless they deliver a lot of voltage. Harmonics, density, timbre, bass - all improved on the listed OTL vs SS (but the V-281 is notably good). I didn't own a tube amp/pre-amp for 20 years until I heard the stock BHC with the 600 and 800S, and then I got one.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you to both of you for commenting. Sorry I never got back to you sooner.

Love your profile picture, dunring.

I find it funny that the two of you give completely opposite comments -- one that they're not picky, and work on any SS product just fine, the other swearing that they sound better on tubes.

That's pretty much par for the course that I've seen across the internet when it comes to which amp to use on the HD800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back