Do I need to upgrade?
Sep 15, 2019 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

syar

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I posted this on a different forum (no idea why :))but the answers I were a bit confusing and all over the place. Anyway, my question is; I have just built a new PC and although I'm enjoying it I feel like the sound could do with an upgrade. I recently got a pair of Beyerdynamic DP 770 PRO (80ohm) headphones and have been driving them with a Sound Blaster Z that I had in my old system but is this enough? I play most of my music through MusicBee and as much as possible is in FLAC. Not sure what to do, any help would be welcome.

Edit: Since posting I've been looking at the FiiO K3, would getting this been worth it?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 6
The SB-Z sound card makes a decent DAC/amp.
I would say to replace the DT770 80-Ohm.
Maybe the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X headphones.

Sep 15, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 6
well of course you do

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 6
The SB-Z sound card makes a decent DAC/amp.
I would say to replace the DT770 80-Ohm.
Maybe the Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X headphones.

Thank you, the other forum I went on told me to ditch the SB-Z and that it was a piece of junk. I know its not the best device in the world but it seems to be driving these headphones. I only got these headphones a couple of months ago, so i'm not really looking to trade them in yet. I do quite them, I just didn't know if I was getting the full quality from them with the SB-Z.

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 6
the other forum I went on told me to ditch the SB-Z and that it was a piece of junk.
Did they tell you to replace your piece of junk with a stack of schitt?

Sep 15, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you, the other forum I went on told me to ditch the SB-Z and that it was a piece of junk. I know its not the best device in the world but it seems to be driving these headphones. I only got these headphones a couple of months ago, so i'm not really looking to trade them in yet. I do quite them, I just didn't know if I was getting the full quality from them with the SB-Z.
I like my Soundmagic HP151 headphones, better then my DT770 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm headphones.
I just think for the price of what you would pay for a new external DAC/amp, to drive (improve) the DT770 80-Ohm, would be better spent on other (better) headphones.
Like a (used) Beyerdynamic DT1770 headphone

You can always replace the SB-Z, at a later date,
I'm sure for $300 +, you could buy a tube headphone amplifier, off Massdrop.
Or $400, for aube amp with a built in DAC function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back