Do I need a new soundcard?
Nov 24, 2004 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kent747

New Head-Fier
Right now I'm using on-board ASUS P4PE Soundmax integrated audio, and I was wondering whether it's worth replacing it with a separate sound card at all, as I'm not a sound engineer, just listening to my favourite music & playing games from time to time.
Usually I listen to mp3's encoded files (mostly 192+ VBR). I simply don't understand, whether I will feel the difference with another sound card or not.
And I don't need any of EAX, 5.1, etc., how 2-channel music will sound is much more important.

* I'm planning to use Grado SR-80 & Etys ER-4P.

Any input is welcome.

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 9
well, the question is whether you're happy with the current sound. if you are, then you don't "need" a new soundcard. but i'm quite sure once you get the Ety ER-4P you might notice the shortcomings of your soundcard..

the best you know is the best you've heard... ignorance is bliss (for your wallet)

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, the thing is I listen to PCDP most of the time, computer is used only at nights, and I didn't have a chance to compare with how another soundcard sounds.
So that last statement of yours is absolutely right, and THAT's why I asked the question, I just don't know how it can sound.

[upd]Oh, and if you think, that I'll be able to hear my card's shortcomings when I get those Etys [size=xx-small](in 2 weeks time, I hope)[/size], I'd be happy to hear a suggestion, which card exactly should I take under 100$.

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kent747
Well, the thing is I listen to PCDP most of the time, computer is used only at nights, and I didn't have a chance to compare with how another soundcard sounds.
So that last statement of yours is absolutely right, and THAT's why I asked the question, I just don't know how it can sound.

[upd]Oh, and if you think, that I'll be able to hear my card's shortcomings when I get those Etys [size=xx-small](in 2 weeks time, I hope)[/size], I'd be happy to hear a suggestion, which card exactly should I take under 100$.

E-MU 0404m! absolutely no brainer for that price range! and its stereo, perfect! do a search on the boards of 0404 and you'll see a lot of impressions/reviews from current users.

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ixeo
E-MU 0404m! absolutely no brainer for that price range! and its stereo, perfect! do a search on the boards of 0404 and you'll see a lot of impressions/reviews from current users.

Heed this. I'd think even listening to mp3s at that rate you'll hear a huge difference.

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 9
ixeo, DevilDog, thanks for the advice!

Read the impressions from other users, seems the card is really great, I think I'll order it soon then.
etysmile.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 9
you are forgetting headphone amp, which is a must with 0404.. even the simplest cmoy..

Nov 24, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 9
yes, a definite must, not because of it having low output levels, but it's output impedance is too high.. it's a line out source.. you can however easily modify the card to lower the output impedance, it's just about soldering two surface mount resistors.. depends on you if you're up to it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back