DIY streamer
May 19, 2023 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alexdemaet

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry for creating the thread here, I did not find another forum so I created it here.

I have been trying to find an streamer for local music files. I
have tried the fiio m17, ifi neo stream. Ifi zen stream, and blu sound node. I
I returned or sold the devices because there were issues with big song libraries.

Recently I have been trying foobar2000 on a laptop. I like this setup very much because you can use or smartphone as a remote player. Foobar2000 is really awesome because it's free!

May 19, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Sorry for creating the thread here, I did not find another forum so I created it here.

I have been trying to find an streamer for local music files. I
have tried the fiio m17, ifi neo stream. Ifi zen stream, and blu sound node. I
I returned or sold the devices because there were issues with big song libraries.

Recently I have been trying foobar2000 on a laptop. I like this setup very much because you can use or smartphone as a remote player. Foobar2000 is really awesome because it's free!
Foobar is really great, but once you go Roon, you never go back. Have you tried it yet?

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
May 20, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 7
No, I have not. I tried Qobuz. I do not have any Roon ready devices. I am trying to save money for headphones. I think Roon is expensive

May 20, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 7
Does Roon helps you discover new music? Music you currently do not have in your library?

May 20, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 7
As you rightly pointed out, Roon is good but expensive (and has gotten more expensive off-late due to hype).

As for free options that can handle big libraries, I would recommend going for a dedicated audio PC with a good linux Distro like Daphile, APLinux or HQP. These are lightweight OSs and can handle sifting and sorting large libraries with ease. They can also be run on relatively inexpensive hardware.

The best part is the flexibility these OSs have in terms of upgrading the sound quality, enabling you to further improve your system by adding things like a NAS (for your library data), multiple endpoints, etc.

However, these come with a significant technical challenge in setiing up and getting the performance that you desire. Depending on your capabilities, the time you have on hand and the amount of nicks and bumps you can live with (it's free software so these will be a part of the package), this option may or may not suit you. No harm in giving it a go.

May 20, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 7
I have 2 nas. But I only use them for backups. I am currently using a 2 TB ssd. I like the ssd because it is quit and it is very fast. It's also Energy efficient. I prefer energy efficient hardware because I am using a big battery. I do not like a Nas because it's not quit and it is not really energy efficient. I like Qobuz because you can discover new music for free. To browse in Tidal, I believe you need to have a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back