DIY replacement cables for HD 580
Nov 26, 2002 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bifcake

Headphoneus Supremus
I looked into building replacement cables for the HD580s and needless to say, it's impossible to find the connectors that go into the driver enclosures.

I was wondering if it was possible to open the enclosures and replace the proprietary sockets with standard connectors, thereby allowing me to build my replacement cables.

Has anyone opened the driver enclosures? Is it easy to do?

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 13
The problem with the connectors from the stock cables is that they're molded, so the only way you could use them is to cut the piece of the original cable with teh connector and then solder that piece to the replacement cable. I would rather not go that route since the original cable is very thin and it would be tough to work with. I'd rather do it nice and clean.

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Is it possible to use the connectors from the stock cable?

That's what Clou does. Probably Equinox does, too. Cardas makes their own (of course) but I don't think they're selling them. I guess you could call and ask.

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 13
I spoke to Cardas. They don't sell the connectors. They were more than happy to sell me the cables though. Buying the cables is a rip though. The cable costs $.30 a foot and the connectors are another $1.50, so they're selling a $5 cable for $100.

If worst comes to worst, I'll use the existing cable. I would prefer to either get connectors or to switch the proprietary sockets on the headphones themselves with a standard connector socket.

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 13
Then is it possible to remove the red/black molding to expose the contacts, desolder the old wire, and put in the new wire? I don't want to try and fail and waste $25.

Nov 27, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 13
i was referring to jan meier replacing both the jack and the plug.

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...20021126152702

because the connection system in the senns is pretty shoddy, i've been wanting to replace the jack on my 580's to a 2.5mm phone jack for a while, so that i could swap cables with my grados, but i haven't really had any connection problems.

i'd probably open up the ear cups. remove the driver. the jack is connected to the driver. hack off the jack part, and install a new jack.

though looking at the connector now, it doesn't look too hard to replicate.

Nov 27, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the link.

So I took of the metal grille, and on the connector there are 2 exposed gold contacts. Isn't it possible, then, to solder on DIY cable wire to that?

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Taphil
Thanks for the link.

So I took of the metal grille, and on the connector there are 2 exposed gold contacts. Isn't it possible, then, to solder on DIY cable wire to that?

I suppose if gold takes readily to solder. However, it may be difficult to insulate the contacts and prevent the cable from disattaching.

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 13
Bifcake, jan reccomends just coating the strands with some soldering grease, and then just attaching it to the new cables. I acually plan to make a DIY 580 cable just for fun, and to ship out to head-fi users, gonna test the design on my beyers first though.

Dec 3, 2002 at 8:14 AM Post #13 of 13
Ebonyks,

How does Jan recommend attaching the connectors to the new cables? He doesn't recommend soldering, just twisting them on? What's the point of putting soldering grease on them?

If you make a replacement cable, I would very much like to sample it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back