diy repairs
Sep 3, 2020 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Fat Larry

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, are there any generic guides i could have a look at for diy iem repairs? I have an Oriveti New Primacy bud that i think has a lose connection to its dynamic driver and i want to get in and resolder it. Haven't done any iem work before but i've done a few cables some i'm happy with the basics. I think my main questions are: How do i open the aluminium shell and is there anything else i need to be aware of?

Sep 28, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 3
I had to do the same exact thing for my resin iems and gr07c's. For gr07c's, I rubbed iso around the seam and then hit it with a heat gun from far away to soften the adhesive and started prying apart the shell. It came apart and I found out that my driver was dead and the wire had detached. Before opening them up, check for continuity between the contacts with a multimeter. If theres continuity, your driver probably got a short between the winds and doesn't work because of that. If there is no continuity, the wire of the driver broke or one of the wires detached.

Sep 28, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I had to do the same exact thing for my resin iems and gr07c's. For gr07c's, I rubbed iso around the seam and then hit it with a heat gun from far away to soften the adhesive and started prying apart the shell. It came apart and I found out that my driver was dead and the wire had detached. Before opening them up, check for continuity between the contacts with a multimeter. If theres continuity, your driver probably got a short between the winds and doesn't work because of that. If there is no continuity, the wire of the driver broke or one of the wires detached.

Thanks. I had go at opening my old pair of Piston HDs for practice, no luck so far, trying to get a scalpel into the seam feels dangerous and they haven't given at all. The warming the adhesive sounds like a good idea. Are some IEMS made with similar glue to cell phones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back