DIY HiFi - New DIY Channel on YT
Aug 4, 2023 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Somek

Reviewer: Ear Fidelity
Hi Guys!
I'm pleased to inviting you to my new YT channel. My goal is to share knowledge and make it easier for people to start in this hobby. I'll be touching on popular projects, guides, interviews and more! Your feedback is highly appreciated!
First video is a podcast with Zachariach Peteson, a renowned PCB designer working with Altium Designer. Jump in!

Aug 7, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 5
Good choice. Zach knows his stuff and has at least a passing interest in audio. I'm a long time watcher of his youtube channel. I would use Altium, if I could justify the expense. And, I will add, through Zach's great work with the company and showing off the product; as soon as I can, I will.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 5
Good choice. Zach knows his stuff and has at least a passing interest in audio. I'm a long time watcher of his youtube channel. I would use Altium, if I could justify the expense. And, I will add, through Zach's great work with the company and showing off the product; as soon as I can, I will.
Thank you! Yes, Zach is an amazing guy, and working with him was a joy and a half. Altium Designer is one of the leading software on the market, but without a student's licence, I can't imagine hobbyists using it due to their pricing.

Aug 8, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 5
True that. Its not cheap. luckily its something you can lease on a month by month basis. I own Diptrace at the highest, unlimited layers level and also run Kicad, but Altium is so far in advance of these 2, that i'm considering grabbing the free trial (which is full featured btw afaik) to transfer my knowledge of these and leasing it for another month, just to finish a project i'm working on, which has outgrown these tools. Kicad is a great program, but the interface sux and the comprehensive integration in Altium of all calculations I use external programs for and a clean 3d space is superb. As I understand it, you can maintain an Altium365 workspace for free that stores your projects and then pay to use it when you need it. The workflow is so clean that I could see myself saving myself a great deal of time by doing this and my time is valuable to me now tht i'm working fulltime at my dayjob (IT). If I can save myself even a day each month, ive paid for the monthly license (if I value my free time), even if i'm not making any money

Not sure how much traction you will get here at Head-fi though; people can be a bit stuck in their ways around here ...

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #5 of 5
True that. Its not cheap. luckily its something you can lease on a month by month basis. I own Diptrace at the highest, unlimited layers level and also run Kicad, but Altium is so far in advance of these 2, that i'm considering grabbing the free trial (which is full featured btw afaik) to transfer my knowledge of these and leasing it for another month, just to finish a project i'm working on, which has outgrown these tools. Kicad is a great program, but the interface sux and the comprehensive integration in Altium of all calculations I use external programs for and a clean 3d space is superb. As I understand it, you can maintain an Altium365 workspace for free that stores your projects and then pay to use it when you need it. The workflow is so clean that I could see myself saving myself a great deal of time by doing this and my time is valuable to me now tht i'm working fulltime at my dayjob (IT). If I can save myself even a day each month, ive paid for the monthly license (if I value my free time), even if i'm not making any money

Not sure how much traction you will get here at Head-fi though; people can be a bit stuck in their ways around here ...
Luckily for me, KiCAD does it for me now. But yes, I can see the benefits of running Altium ecosystem.

I think people will warm up with time when they see consistent effort and useful info :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back